Logo

Ran lower unit out of water a few times now over heats what do I need

jkbrooks9

"Hi I recently purchases a 197

"Hi I recently purchases a 1978 olympic with a omc 185 stern drive engine model # 990252H and drive model# 981112. the previous owner moved to austrilia and his dad sold the boat for him. He told me that the flush out hose hookup was all you needed to run the boat on land. Even though I was concerned by this, I trusted him and I ran the boat a few times for about 5 mins. each time. I finally took it out on the water for the first time and guess what! after 20 min. the boat started to over heat and got up to 220 before it backfied and I realized what was going on. the motor still runs great, but now what do I need to do? just replace the impellar with a full kit? or more? and I am very good with mech. so how much work is it?"

You can start with impellar I

You can start with impellar I think I would put in the whole kit. The backfire thing not sound good

"is it very difficult? I have

"is it very difficult? I have a selco omc book for it but the outdrive they describe is a little different then mine, mainly just the water pickup."

"[i]He told me that the flush

"He told me that the flush out hose hookup was all you needed to run the boat on land.

that is true

the outdrive they describe is a little different then mine, mainly just the water pickup.

the water pump itself is identical to the one they show 1964-1985 are all the same w/p"

"my book tells me that the flu

"my book tells me that the flush out is only for flushing the system, it says to remember to hook up the water to the lower unit or submerge it before running it?"

so i just talked to a service

so i just talked to a service tech and he confirmed that it is true thanks! but is there any cautions or advice I should know before i tear in to it?

Back