Logo

questions on spring commission

pjdaddo

Hello experts I could use some advice on a few maintenance items on my 1989 Trojan with twin 454 crusaders,OK here's some history:
The boat has 485 hrs on her the starboard engine was replaced with a reman and only has aprox 10 hrs,the port is original, I bought the boat two years ago and after the sea trial (all systems worked great no issues)I had her put up on the hard the previous owner put me in touch with his mechanic that has worked on this boat since it was 1yr old (23yrs) he was a wealth of knowledge very forthright and explained how meticulous the po was we have kept in-touch and I wanted him to do all the mechanical work for me because the boat is 3 hrs away from me(I live in CT the boat is in NJ) and I felt having a familiar mechanic would keep the cost down or more importantly all known issues would be dealt with.Now fast forward to this year the mechanic mentioned the oil coolers were original and before I make the trip by sea from NJ to CT I should replace them and I agreed so we did that then the list keeps growing and I don't have a problem if it needed but I don't have unlimited funds so now to my questions here is the list of items he wants to do;
1)repack stuffing box-because its been dry two yrs-(I don't know if I agree)
2)replace fuel pumps -because they're original-(I don't know if I agree)
3)replace all impellers-because its been dry two yrs-(I agree)
4)replace all fitlers-water-fuel-( I agree)
5)replace all batteries & cables -(already started-I agree)
6)I'm sure something else will come up
We did start both motors two weeks ago and the both started right up and purred like 350hp kittens (they sounded sweet) we couldn't the generator because the starter got wet from storm sandy and we need to find a starter-he's looking for used because he's never seen them go bad (its an olan gen) so any advice is greatly appreciated,thanks

so now to my questions here is the list of items he wants to do;

1)repack stuffing box-because its been dry two yrs-(I don't know if I agree)
Perhaps ask for an explanation.

2)replace fuel pumps -because they're original-(I don't know if I agree)
Never a bad idea.

3)replace all impellers-because its been dry two yrs-(I agree)
Yes.... and furthermore, these should be removed during winter lay-up.
There's no reason to leave them in the pump bodies during lay-up. It will shorten their life span.

4)replace all fitlers-water-fuel-( I agree)
Put a date and engine hours on the new cartridges.

5)replace all batteries & cables -(already started-I agree)

6)I'm sure something else will come up
We did start both motors two weeks ago and the both started right up and purred like 350hp kittens (they sounded sweet) we couldn't the generator because the starter got wet from storm sandy and we need to find a starter-he's looking for used because he's never seen them go bad (its an olan gen) so any advice is greatly appreciated,thanks

1) Perhaps ask for an explanation.

2) Never a bad idea.

3) Yes.... and furthermore, these should be removed during winter lay-up.
There's no reason to leave them in the pump bodies, during lay-up, with 3 or 4 blades flexed into the cams.
It will shorten their life span.

4) Put a date and engine hours on the new cartridges.

5)Again, not a bad idea.

6)It usually does!

make sure the stuffing box hose and clamps are inspected (if they are used).

Also, if replacing the battery leads, make sure they have properly crimped ends and get sealed with heat shrink.

Back