Logo

Questions from a rookie

genesis5521

I very dear friend recently gave me a 1979 6 hp Evinrude model 6904E. It's in mint condition with less than 10 hours of total use. But it's been sitting for more than 25 years. There is a small latch underneath the steering handle which I can move to "lock" or "unlock". On the back of the motor, I can see the mechanism which holds the motor at various angles. I've moved the latch to "unlock" but I haven't figured out how to tilt the motor up and down. It doesn't wanna budge when I try to move it. Is there any other little gizzmo I'm suppose to to move, or do I just use more muscle? I just didn't wanna force anything.

Can I use regular gas which contains 10% Ethanol?

Even though she gave it to me, I wanna give my friends "something" for the motor, so any idea on what it's worth?

One last thing. What's a ball park figure for a tune-up on this motor?

Any help on this stuff would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks Guys

Don <><​

The only thing it needs is an inspection / cleaning of the carburetor and replacement of the aged waterpump impeller.----------Both easy to do yourself.

Likely you have no choice on the 10% gas. I don't.
Take your friend out to a really nice dinner. A place where you need to get dressed up.
If you are going to do what raceone suggests, (I agree) get the factory manual. Available on this site as a reprint, or an original used copy off of ebay.
Why you can't tilt, I don't know, but that mechanism isn't hard to understand. They are hard to tilt unless mounted securley on a boat or unmovable stand.

If you look up the parts diagram for this motor under exhaust housing, item number 62 is the sheet metal tab that you have to push down on in order to unlock and be able to tilt your motor up. I have a Johnson 6hp just like it for my kicker motor.

Back