Logo

Question

Scooter7777

If the 4-Stroke doesn't use an oil mix, what is the oil tank on the front of the motor for? Just to hold the oil that lubricates the engine? Thanks.

Stop-----What motor do you have?----Year / Power / Serial #----Did you just buy it and seller said it was a 4 stroke because he did not have to mix gas and oil ?----Do you see an oil filter .---Do you see a dip stick ?----Do you see a timing belt / timing pulleys ?----Any pictures of your motor ?

A four stroke engine will have an oil reservoir to hold the oil that lubricates the engine. There will be a dipstick, and probably drain plugs to drain the oil and an oil filter. A two stroke won't have any of that, just a gas tank. If you posted a pic, we could give you more certain answers. Hope this helps!

No oil reservoir on a 4 stroke other than oil pan built into midsection. and plenty of 2 stroke with oil tanks. If a sterndrive oil reservoir is for outdrive oil.

??----There are lots of 2 strokes with a separate oil tank.---Beginning in about 1984 the big Johnson / Evinrudes had an oil tank to feed the automatic mixing system.

OK, my bad. The concept of automatic mixing sounds real cool to me. I might have to check into it. It would sure beat pre-mixing all the fuel! Anyways, thanks for the clarification.

Back