Logo

Question something that has been annoying

tbrodes

Regular Contributor
"So,

My starboard engine &

"So,

My starboard engine (454) runs great. However, when I start it, the engine turns over just fine, however there is this clickity-clickity-clickity sound as it turns over

Any idea what it could be?"

"Possibly a worn out damper pl

"Possibly a worn out damper plate with the odd loose spring
question.gif
. The noise would be most noticeable at low RPM.

Once the engine is up to speed the centrifical force would clear up the loose spring sound...just my WAG....seeing I had to change one last year."

"Geez Ted... I had to change o

"Geez Ted... I had to change one about 6 weeks ago and not because it was noisy. I had one of the 6 bolts in the 360 degree circle come loose and the centrifugal force of the now loose "fan" whacked the bell housing. That drive damper is the link between the transmission and the engine output

While it was "SLIGHTLY" easier to look into the rectangular timing hole to observe the damper with the engine out, I don't think it is that easy to look at while the engine is in place. At least in my mounting configuration with v-drive and NO space."

"Could be a worn ring gear on

"Could be a worn ring gear on the flywheel, too. Starter not being mounted tight could do it as well."

"I hear a Yak,Yak,Yak every ti

"I hear a Yak,Yak,Yak every time I even talk about starting my boat. I'll just leave it at that...

Only kidding, my wife looks forward to going out on the boat."

"Have same noise on my starboa

"Have same noise on my starboard engine when cold, after running a few minutes the noise disappear, been like this since I bought the boat 3 yrs ago."

Back