Logo

Question on new Merc block...

hippie

Regular Contributor
Hi men, I am putting my block together and there is a switch of some type attached to the crank housing behind the harmonic balancer. My old engine did not have such an item. My block is a 1987 Mercruiser 350, 270 hp. This switch appears to be the female end with two or three prongs inside and hangs there toward the bilge floor. Any ideas and what do I do with it? Thank you, Bob

I hate to bother you men again but on the same engine block I can not get the dip stick tube into the oil pan. It goes in 1/2 inch and hits on something yet all appears to be the same as my old block. Additionally, I can not find a hole for the small bolt and bracket that holds the tube in place (should be up under the front adjuster motor mount on the starboard side.

You waited till it was mounted in the boat to put the stick in ?

So you never ran it on a pallet or crate, before installing the motor in the boat ?

Maybe it's me, am i the only one thats starts a motor before installing it in a boat or car.

I'm starting to believe what a bunch of people told me. That is when your engine stops running do not try to get it repaired nor even replace the engine with a new one. Sell the whole boat and buy another!

Sometimes the boat just ain't worth it. And sometimes you can have some luck. But most times you should ask before you do, like buy something you don't know anything about.

I wasn't chiding you but trying to teach you.

either you have a car engine with part of the dipstick installed .the car version is swaged to fit INTO the part that goes in the block.
no engine is ever installed without a test run on a stand.

OK men, we pulled the engine today to get the dip stick tube problem straightened out. It was a factory defective oil pan. We pulled the engine and left it hang in the harness then put my old pan on and a perfect fit for the pan and dip stick tube and dip stick. Put the engine back in the boat. But, while we had the oil pan off I took some pictures of what was advertised and sold as a 4 bolt main HOWEVER, it is a 2 bolt main. So far, the engine was supposed to use a manuel fuel pump but no holes are drilled there. The oil pan is defective and it is a 2 bolt not a 4 bolt main.
This is a good company however, called Michigan Motorz.

Back