Logo

Question on locking a 1990 Yamaha 85HP engine up for trailering

SCDiver

Greetings . . . . this is my first post but it looks like a great place to share information.

I just purchased a 1990- Chaparral 126XL with an 85HP Yamaha CV85ELD outboard on it . . . . The seller said that when he trailered it, he inserted a piece of galvanized pipe under the engine after tilting it. I asked him if it wasn't supposed to lock up; i.e., when you pull it out of the water, but he said it had never done it in the 3 years he owned it.

I see a lever similar to what I've used before on non-power tilt engines but it does not seem to want to lock in the up position.

Does it sound like I am not doing something right or is there something I need to look at replacing?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Well, looked at the motor again and found the tilt release lever on the left side (standing behind the boat). Above the smaller lever is a larger one that seems to go through the bracket and is on both sides. It looks to be rusted in place on the right side (looking from the back) and the one on the left side moves but does not hold the motor up. Now I see why they previous owner used the pipe to hold the motor up when trailering or storing it.

Any suggestions on how to fix the tolt lock mechanism?

Thanks

Back