Logo

Question on a Mercruiser inboard Power Steering Cooling unit??

FTweaker

I really need to know will if it will hurt or can it be used even like this is. I have a Cusiers Inc. 1986 Holiday 25' that I purchased with a recently rebuilt 1986 Mercruiser 350-C.I.D. 260Hp that has around 450-hours on it now, senes this Engine was rebuilt and put back in this 25' Boat. What I seen while just changing the Engine Oil the other day was. That on the PORT Side - The left side of a boat looking forward. in the Exhaust Riser their is two hoses not even hooked up just laying their. The Books say it's a Power Steering Cooler. Now if thats what this is there must be a reason it was not hooked back into the system. And can the Boat be run safely like it is without major damage to the Boats Engine? I have never had Power Steering Before, and I really need to know if anyone could PLEASE Help Me with this Stupid Question that I have.
THANK YOU in ADVANCE Though!!!!
Rich in Hudson, Florida... :eek:

it is an oil cooler also

As for it being a "Oil Cooler" for Engine Oil? The Books I've seens some say that it is. But If so I don't understand the Mechanics of how it's hooked in. At this time there are just two hoses with fitted ends on them. And they are laying down under the Engine. Good thing my Beilge is Very Clean and Dry, down there. But that's a real good question, for myself I'm not even sure of that too!
Thank's Rich, in Hudson, Florida....:rolleyes:

Possible the original install used the merc power steering equipment. At some point in its life, it was removed, but not completely (cooler remains). no reason you can't remove it if you want to - just splice the water hoses if they are still hooked to the cooler and are being used.

Back