Logo

Question about control cable and water separator for carbureted engine

Magnumpl

Hi. I am replacing my boat's fuels lines and control cables along with the remote control box and I have two questions. I would appreciate if someone could help me with this so that I can complete the project.

1. I have a 2005 Mercury 150hp Saltwater XL SW outboard, SN# 1B043582 which is oil-injected and carbureted. I am not sure if this engine needs a water separator. I had it installed but always had some issues with priming the engine. I read through the service manuals and it doesn't say anything about a water separator at all. It only shows the inline small fuel filter. The EFI model does show a water separator, but the Carb model does not. Does anyone know if the Carburetor model should have a water separator or not?

2. I switched out my old Gen 1 binnacle remote control box to a Gen 2 and went with Seastar Xtreme control cables. However I purchased 17' which would be just right to reach the engine and controller, it does not put tension on the cable when turning the engine, however does not leave any extra, it's right on spot before putting tension or stressing the cable. Is that fine or should there be an extra loose cable?

I like having a fuel/water separator as extra filtering of fuel. If you're having problems priming your motor, maybe it's time to replace the filter. Your fuel/water separator should be just before the primer bulb. 3-6 feel is ideal. It's not mandatory, but it's just extra protection. The filter on the fuel/water separator should be replaced once a year. That's what i've always been told. As far as the control cables, if they aren't being bent at sharp angles and if you can steer both ways and tilt the motor without issues, I guess you're fine. I've seen more cable issues cause by cables that are too long than by cables that are just right.

Back