Logo

Quadrajet rebuild from Cliff what to order

bobct

Advanced Contributor
"I think I'm going to take

"I think I'm going to take advantage of the winter and rebuild both of my 1988 454 carbs.

I see what's included in the kit. What would you guys recommend for the items below which are NOT included?

1) Jets
2) Metering rods
3) Choke pull off - generally still work?

How about the bushing kit? Should I do this as well?

thanks,
Bob"

"On the jets and rods - if you

"On the jets and rods - if you are happy with the current A/F mixture, you shouldn't have to change them. If you think it needs to be changed, I'd discuss this with Cliff, provide him the data he askes for, and let him make any changes during the rebuild.

On the pull-off - they usually have long lifespans. If you don't know how old that one is, having a spare is probably a good idea. You can either put new ones on and keep the old for spares or just the reverse.

Bushings - depends upon current state of the throttle plate assembly (throttle body). As it is made with aluminum, wear is a real possibility. If the throttles have seen lots of cycles, the bearing surfaces for the shafts wear. this lets additional air enter and usually results in varying idle speeds depending upon the extent of the leak. If you notice varying idle speeds when at operating temp, that is a good indicator of needing the bushings installed.

The other thing to consider is doing it now will eliminate any future need for the procedure (and the associated down time and extra costs)."

My two cents...........

I s

My two cents...........

I sent one of my carbs to Cliff...I'd rather have an "expert" look after it...Carbs?? I'm kinda challenged on that part of engines and I want it done right !!!!

Back