Logo

Q's: No Kill Sw - Would you advise adding? Tabs, too?

bp_redbear

Q 1 : Kill switch
Add a kill switch or swap out for a remote that has a kill switch??

Q 2 : VRO pump giving me a NO OIL light.

On my 19' Hammond OB I have a 2000 Johnson 150 fast strike (carbed) using what I believe may be the Original Control Box. It's an Evinrude box, white in color, lacking a kill switch. The boat is a '79...

I have a scrap boat with a "junk" 70hp Evinrude, and several things that if I tried to purchase would be well over $1000+

If I try to sell the scrap boat I'd doubt anyone would give me more than $400 for the rig, including the trailer.
This 16' scrap/parts boat has:
- Bennett hydraulic trim tabs complete w/ pump/reservoir with the instrument panel switches,
- Battery isolation switch, cables,
- Navi-Gator remote charging module and cables, with instr. panel controls,
- a Bimini 3-bow top,
- Cleats and anchor line guides,
- OMC control box with kill
Switch,
- throttle cable,
- shifter cable,
- steering cable,
- VRO pump on the motor and the oil tank,

I'd like to use the trim tabs and gain a kill switch, as well as add cleats amidship. And, spares, in all the other parts.

Would y'all strip that parts boat for the trim tabs and swap out the remote control for the killswitch, keep all the other parts for spares, or sell the parts on eBay?

Do most/all modern boats have a kill switch? Or, just bass boats & PWCs?

My main question is would it be easy to swap out the control boxes to gain a kill switch or try to add the kill switch to the control box that is already in use

If the control boxes are compatible that would be the way to go. If not, it's really easy to add a kill switch to your dash. I know in Texas they are required by law.
I have an older control box also, so I went the dashboard route. Took about 20 minutes.

If the OMC control control box on the junk boat is for a 4-wire OMS system then the wiring harness will be directly compatible with your 2000 FastStrike. The old '79 control box is using an adapter to connect with your engine or someone has done a cobble job on the wiring. With the correct harness it gives you all the connectors for warning horn, tach, ignition, trim, and system check gauge. If the box on the junk boat is not a newer style, it's still worth transferring for the kill switch (ECOS) and you can just continue to use the adapter.

I'm not sure the steering cable from the junk boat is worth too much. On a 150 you really should have dual steering cables on a no-feedback helm. Yes, you can run the boat with a single cable, but dual cables or hydraulic steering work better.

Keep the throttle and shift cables with the newer control box and put your old ones in storage for spares.

Trim tabs and other items might be worth installing, but you could probably get some cash for them on marketplace or ebay if you choose.

The use of an ECOS was mandated by law in 2021. Yes, there is some discussion regarding if that meant only on newer boats and older boats built without them are exempt. Personally, regardless of mandate, I prefer to use one and be on the safe side.

USCG Engine Cut-Off Switch law

Back