Logo

QD-21 Johnson 10 HP shifting issues

homerjfish74

I have a 1960 QD-21 10HP Seahorse OB engine. I struck a rock while running wide open and it has acted strange since. Sometimes the trans will engage, sometimes it won't.

Suggestions? I know a little about these things, but not a lot. A starting point would be most helpful. My original thoughts was to check the prop shaft key; it's OK. I changed the prop as well. The other got a little dinged up obviously. Gear oil is still clean and full. Should my next check be the trans shift shaft? Could I have possibly knocked that back? It makes sense to me, but...

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Rich

@kimcrwbr1:

OK, I know where you're talking about (I put a water pump kit in this thing over the Spring). Where the two shafts are joined by the 2 bolt coupler. Visibly check things there. Up top, I presume you mean under the power head cowling...is there any possibility that I bent one of the shifter rods?

First chance I get, I'll look at this (may do it tomorrow). Strong running 50 year old motor and would like it to keep running...

Thanks for the reply...

Well, I checked the shift link in the exhaust housing. It looked to be set back a little bit. I loosened up the bottom bolt, shoved the shifter lever into full reverse, re-tightened the bolt and shoved it back into neutral, then forward; the bolt tightens good and the trans feels like its engaging solid. Prop turns freely in neutral. I don't see any issues top-side. The throttle works as you described it should; the shifter roller (?) is holding firmly in my opinion. I drained the lower unit again and found no metal. Re-filled with new oil and I'm keeping the old in a clean container to see if it's taking in any water. I may take it out to the river and run it a little today; I don't have access to 'outside the home' water -- apartment :(

BTW, fuel-oil mix? I've read 1 qt and 2 qts oil to 6 gal of fuel; which is correct? I've been running 2 qts per 6 gal, but only 2 6 gallon tanks worth this summer. I think my Dad ran it @ 1 qt per 6 gallon, but not certain.

Remove cover on the side of exhaust housing.-----------Take out both connecter bolts ( one at a time ) to check that they engage / line up with the notch in the upper and lower shift rod.

I didn't get around to running it...being an old boat with nasty looking wiring, I decided to rip that out and redo it. I'll check with the shifting issues later.

It really doesn't smoke at all with 2 qts of 2 - cycle oil. I know these things were designed to run mixed with SAE30 non-detergent oil; my dad didn't know that :(
It does run pretty smooth as is. I probably still need to check the plugs and their condition. Thanks for all the help!!!

Ignition timing can be checked / adjusted using the two vertical marks on the magneto plate and the timing marks ( 2 V-notches at 180 degrees apart ) on the flywheel.-----------------Should fire between those 2 marks on the plate.------Hitting a rock may have sheared the flywheel key.-----------Put a timing light on it and check the timing / firing.

many thanks for all the replies; the help is much appreciated. i may have the chance to run the old thing tomorrow. i have the boat wiring all taken care of now.

if i do get to run it, i'll post the results asap.

Back