Logo

Pulling a skier up

timmyboy

"Is there any way to increase

"Is there any way to increase the quickness on the hole shot when pulling a skier? I have an 89 VIP with the 302 Ford V8 engine. I think I need to pop my skier up a little quicker. In order to do this, the boat needs to hit it a little quicker... any ideas?"

"One other thing... this has n

"One other thing... this has nothing to do with the quickness. the boat idles around 3000 rpm. I thought I remember Hystat or someone saying it should be around 6000 rpms. if that is the case, how do I adjust a holly carburator? Thanks all."

"you can't really mean you

"you can't really mean your boat idles at 3000 rpm, and if you shift once or twice at 3000 you will have no outdrive left.

Your motor should idle in the water warm in gear around 650.

You go down 2 to 4 degrees in pitch for a faster hole shot.

So say you have a 15 pitch prop you need 13 pitch for a faster hole shot. However be aware the prop will spin faster and increase wot, you never want to exceed wot recommended for your motor.

So say your wot now is 4200 and it's recommended for wot your motor 42-4600 your safe to go down the 2 degrees in pitch cause you would still be within the recommended wot range.

was i clear if not then maybe someone can translate."

I'm sorry.... yes 300 rpms

I'm sorry.... yes 300 rpms.... mayb 325.... but very slow on the idle..... and I have a 19 pitch prop.... just tell me what wot is and it will probably make sense.

"I question your tachometer. N

"I question your tachometer. Not too many gasoline V8's can idle at 300.
I've seen a V8 idle at 300 on propane, but not gas.
check the tach before touching the carb."

"lay down on your back with a

"lay down on your back with a flashlight, and look at the back of the tach, see a sliding button, it will indicate 4,6,8, clylinders, slide it back and forth a few times and then set it to the amount of cylinders you have on the boat.

That might fix your problem.

WOT means wide open throttle.

The rpms your motor should turn and no more then recommended with the throttle lever fully down.

Bye the way you should only maintain wot for a short while most motor manufactures recommend 3/4 throttle, and wot for emergency's."

"I had a similar problem and I

"I had a similar problem and I purchased a stainless high 5 prop it has 5 blades, the hole shot was incredible!! I had a 19 pitch and stayed with a 19 pitch with the high 5, but it depends on your power you might have to step down in pitch 2 and it would be good. By the way you can find them used but be carefull, make sure they are not damaged. You can expect to pay around 300 used and 500-600 new! hope this helps"

i actually have an aluminum fo

i actually have an aluminum four blade 18 pitch sitting under the seat. I might try that blade. I am seeing a lot of info on the 4 blade. I don't need a lot of top end speed. I am not racing anyone. I just need a quicker hole shot for my skiers.... tubers don't matter.

"Lower pitch number will give

"Lower pitch number will give greater acceleration. Greater acceleration will result in lower top end speed.
Three blade prop is more suitable to acceleration in sports boat, four blade to cruising in displacement hull"

"like scott said tabs would he

"like scott said tabs would help you plane out faster, but its not going to help the out of the hole shot to pull up a skier faster. thats going to be all prop and hp."

"Chiefalen, I don't think

"Chiefalen, I don't think I have run WOT for more than a few seconds ever.... just don't need it unless trying to throw a tuber.... I don't need a lot of top end speed as the lake we are at is not that big and cruising is more fun. I just need the hole shot so I can pull up skiers. I think I will try the 4 blade prop this summer. Might buy a 5 next year. thanks for the input. you guys are great."

"Tim:

The WOT check is to a

"Tim:

The WOT check is to assess how well the prop loads the engine.

You definitely want to try a propeller with less pitch for your application; I think you'll find it the most economical solution. a 2" decrease is a good starting point.

BTW, pitch is measured in inches. If the propeller is marked, a "P" usually follows the number for the pitch."

Back