Logo

Prop Shaft Thread Size

ajv00303

Regular Contributor
Anyone know the thread size at the end of the prop shaft on a '03 225HP LH lower unit?
Need to screw an eye in to get a slide hammer on it for removal.

Stop-----Do you have the driveshaft out of this lower unit ?-----Propshaft and gear usually slide out with little effort.

No, I did not remove the driveshaft from the LH lower yet.
Are you saying I don't need to remove the bearing carrier on this lower to remove the driveshaft and pinion gear?
If I remove the bearing housing under the water pump I can remove the driveshaft and pinion gear?

Stop-----Do you have the driveshaft out of this lower unit ?-----Propshaft and gear usually slide out with little effort.
Just re-read your post, if I understand correctly, you're stating that the Prop Shaft and Gear are removed easily, but I still need to remove the pinion gear from the driveshaft. Correct?

???---Sorry I thought you were aware of how simple these parts and pieces are to work on.---Remove nut on bottom of driveshaft.----Pull driveshaft out.----pinion will fall on the floor.---Propshaft might then fall on the floor too.

I was able to remove the bearing carrier and prop shaft using make-shift puller.
Decided it was a good place to stop, will continue with drive shaft removal tomorrow.
NOTE: the drive shaft on the "donor" lower did not come out without a fight, hoping this one is easier.
Gears look good on this lower, not so much on the other!

Back