Logo

Problem with corrusion on the flyweel BF 225 2002

Hi,

my starter gave up, when i lose the starter i can see there is a lot off corrosion on the flyweel. I know thats a problem but what is the reason? Any ideas where to start looking?

Bf225 cannot get water in the flywheel housing other than through partial or total subversion and then through the starter motor and vent

water can only get in under the starter motor ,nowhere else because the housing is sealed. The only time I have seen water in there is when the motor has been underwater

water can only get in under the starter motor ,nowhere else because the housing is sealed. The only time I have seen water in there is when the motor has been underwater

Ok, i am sure that the engine never been under water. Problem started last year. My starter broke and when I removed it I saw there was a lot of korrosion in the flyweel house and in parts on starter fitted in the hose. I get a new starter and thinking the seeling ring between the housing and starter was the problem. Now after one month i the water my new starter broke and there is a lot off corrusion on it. So it seems the seeling was not the problem... saltwater comes in there somehow....

The only other place it might get in is up the drive shaft if the water pump is leaking badly due to a very worn housing.Take the lower unit off and see if the driveshaft is rusted.If that looks okay you will have to remove the power head and check mountcase,it could be corroded and leaking water into the flywheel housing,but I have never never seen this happen.

The only other place it might get in is up the drive shaft if the water pump is leaking badly due to a very worn housing.Take the lower unit off and see if the driveshaft is rusted.If that looks okay you will have to remove the power head and check mountcase,it could be corroded and leaking water into the flywheel housing,but I have never never seen this happen.
Same problem here. How did you get it fixed

Back