Logo

Problem starting boat 1988 4.3 L

stockman

Hello to all. Ideas needed. I have a 1988 Dynasty triton 170 4.3 lxMeccrusier has thunderbolt ignition . Wont start. I changed the distributer cap and roter, and the gas filter by the carbarator. I also changed the spark plugs. the engine is a GM 205 HP 4.3 l x It will turn over but not start . A Thank You to all . Stockman

Re: Problem starting boat

- Is there an ignition kill switch next to the throttle/shift lever? Usually has a lanyard with it that you attach to the driver. If the driver gets ejected, it kills the engine so he doesn't have too far to swim.
That switch has been labeled as the "Fat Ass" switch on by barge. My fat butt hit it once and I must of spent a good hour fumbling through intense troubleshooting until my son said 'Dad, is this switch supposedd to be off?"
-Flame arrestor clean?
-Gas fresh or was at least properly stored? (i.e., full tank, stabilizer added)
-Is it getting gas? Pump the throttle and see if there's gas squiring down the carb.
-Is there any spark at all? Pull a plug wire, put a small bolt in the end and holding the rubber boot, hold the bolt close to something metal on the engine while someone else cranks it over (Make sure the engine comparment is free of gas vapor before you do this). You should see spark.
Air-gas-spark... if you have all three, it should at least cough.

Thanks Troym, I dont think I have a kill swithc. The boat was stored with fuel stabilizer. I will try your ideas. I wanted the boat ready for the 4th July . Thanks Stockman

Well take a spark plug wire off and inset a spare plug in the end and hold it to the block and crank the boat, no spark. If you have spark your missing fuel.

Thanks to all of you for your help . A part in the distributer broke a sensor. It is fixed and I had a great 4th of July tubing the kids. Stockman

Back