Logo

Problem attaching lower end. Nissan 9.8 4 stroke

Ccutler

Nissan outboard 9.8 4 stroke 9.8a.

While I was dropping the lower unit I mistakenly removed the stopper cam rod bushing. Doing this allowed the clutch cam to be pulled out of the lower unit (filled with oil) . When I try to put it back in to the casing filled with oil, (To reattach lower unit) I am having problem.

Is the clutch cam supposed to "catch " and be re inserted? Could it be that I popped out the spring pin causing detachment? Is the fixable? Thank you

i now realize that I should have never removed the cam rod bushing and that I should have removed the spring pins from the joint on the shift rod.

Yes, the standard routine is to remove the lower 3mm ss spring pin at the shift rod coupler. The cam "wedge" does not "snap" in, but it does have a couple of flats to locate F, N, and R, where it won't be ejected like a bullet.

All is not lost.

First thing to do is separate the shift rod coupler, so you have more dexterity with the cam rod.

If you are fortunate, you may wiggle the cam against the push rod (of course you are working blind) until it pops down again. It will take patience, and more force than you probably expect, as you will be compressing the clutch spring.

Failing that, remove the 2 bolts that retain the prop shaft housing into the LU housing, and CAREFULLY pull it part way out... say 1/4 inch. You must use care not to lose the push rod inside the LU casting. If you still can't manipulate the cam back into place (or if the push rod drops out because you pulled the housing apart too far), pull the prop shaft housing all the way out, make sure that the push rod is in place in the prop shaft, and then reinsert the cam first, before reattaching the prop shaft housing. Of course, you should drain the LU lube first, unless you don't mind dumping a pint of stinky 90 weight gear oil all over the shop floor.

Back