Logo

Prestolite electronic ignition testing 1998 5.7 L

duo_prop_dad

Contributing Member
'88 Aq271C- 5.7 GM

Have a Prestolite Distributor with mechanical advance and electronic ignition module in distributor.

Is the gap of 8 tooth wheel and tiny sensor critical?

Is there a procedure for testing this module for function?

Are these modules still available?

I also read somewhere about a Coast Guard issue with sealing the exit hole of the wiring from distributor with silicone ( I believe that was with a round wire grommet, mine is square or rectangular)

john

Re: Prestolite electronic ignition testing

I ended up finding that the gap IS critical.

Set it to .008 thousandths and spark is now good and strong.

My sight aint what it used to be! ( I had eye-balled it before, gap was probably .020 !)

Also found screw loose in top of coil that holds receptacle for coil wire teminal fitting.

Tightened it up also and it ran fine in driveway......

Off to the ramp when the winds die down....
John

Re: Prestolite electronic ignition testing

'88 Aq271C- 5.7 GM

Have a Prestolite Distributor with mechanical advance and electronic ignition module in distributor.

Is the gap of 8 tooth wheel and tiny sensor critical?

Is there a procedure for testing this module for function?

Are these modules still available?

I also read somewhere about a Coast Guard issue with sealing the exit hole of the wiring from distributor with silicone ( I believe that was with a round wire grommet, mine is square or rectangular)

john
John, are you sure that this is Prestolite. From the description "gap of 8 tooth wheel", you are describing a VR or Reluctor system. I don't recall Prestolite using this.... could be wrong.
VR is great, BTW, and one that I prefer.

NOTE:
**The instructions for a VR system will suggest to NOT use a metallic feeler guage to set this gap.
**Note that changing this gap (odd as this may sound) affects dwell!
(most of us don't consider that there is still a dwell with an electronic system)

If this is the Marine ignition distributor, you should have no worries re; "ignition source protection".

OK, here's my usual and unsolicited ignition timing suggestion:

Not only concern yourself with setting BASE advance, but make dang sure that you also check and see where your igntion TA (total advance) is.
See your OEM service manual for this spec.
This is the more important of the two!

Now go have fun!

Last edited:
Back