Logo

premix VRO pump vs. Fuel pump

So helping a buddy swap motors. Both are 2000 Johnson 50hp. Both are run as Pre-mix. His original one has been converted to a fuel pump.... The new one that we just put on still has the VRO pump but the oil lines have been cut and plugged. Personally I would like to go back to a functional VRO pump, but seeing that it has been run dry on the oil side for no telling how long...I figure that might not be too practical. Pre-mixing is not a big deal so we will probably just stick with that route.

The question is... is there any advantage/disadvantage to running the VRO as a fuel pump only vs running a standard fuel pump? If one has a definite advantage over the other, we will probably put that one on the newer motor.

P.S. Both motors are still good and run well. Only swapping them out because he got this from a friend for practically nothing. This one has a better paint job and the trim cylinder does not leak down like his previous one. and honestly, it is easier to swap the motors than just the trim cylinders.

Automatic mixing systems must be inspected / tested / maintained.----Folks rarely do that.-----The simple and bullet proof / pressure driven diaphragm pump is a far better option in my opinion.

Some decisions can not be made for you.-----Everybody has different ideas and understanding of fuel pumps.----Everybody has different understanding on 2 stroke operation and lubrication.

Back