Logo

Precision oil delivery system not working

captdan

I just replaced the oil pump and filter for the remote tank oil delivery system of my 1999 saltwater series II 200 hp OX66 model Yamaha. When I run engine I don't see any oil being added to the smaller oil tank on the side of the engine. Would this be indicative of some other problem in the system or does motor need to be run under pressure at higher rpm's for pump to begin working? Any ideas?

We have the carb'd version of the same engine but I suspect that the oil systems are the same. If so -
1) turn on the key but don't start the engine. Operate the grey electrical toggle switch at the rear of the engine and hold it on. This should make the pump in your remote tank run (while you hold the switch on) and fill the engine mounted tank. If the pump doesn't run you may have a bad pump or electrical problem.
2) If the pump does run then you need to check that the oil level sender in the engine mounted tank is operating. Lift the whole unit out of the top of the tank and see if the pump runs when you move the sender.
3) If the problem is electrical there is a small separate wiring loom of 2 or 3 wires that you can access on the stbd side of the engine. There are some connectors there to check.
4) The wiring loom for the remote tank is very long and it is not unknown for the engine installers to shorten it. If you are getting power at the engine connectors when you throw the switch you may find a bad connector hidden somewhere hidden between the engine and tank.

THANKS I found a clog by blowing back through the hose from the oil tank on the engine to the remote tank. I knew it was a clog because the pump ran but the small tank on the motor didn't fill after I manually emptied it. I haven't had the boat out for a real test yet but seems to be ok running at the dock.

Back