Logo

Pre 1966 Chysler 318 Overheating on LH side

woodenboat01

I have looked through all the posts on the 318 motor overheating problems and have not seen my problem. I have rebuilt the 318 Chrysler motor (pre 1966 model 318 BWR10 that was in a Correct Craft Barricuda) and installed it into a homemade inboard powered boat. The motor runs good - the RH block and head runs cool (105 F) but the LH Block and head runs 180 F).
I have done the following:
1) Rebuilt water pump - It is a double intake / double output Sherwood pump. The front chamber pumps water to RH block to RH head to (RH intake manifold) to LH block to LH head to LH intake manifold then to bypass hoses and thermostat to the exhaust elbows.
The rear water pump chamber sends water to the transmission cooler then to the exhaust water jackets. Both RH and LH water jackets run cool.

2) Took RH and LH heads off to check for any blockages. None found. What I did find which I do not understand was the Head gasket holes for cooling water flow matched up perfectly but the large holes (1/2 inch) in the block and head were constricted by the size of the holes in the gasket (1/8 inch). Both RH and LH head gaskets were like this. I have reordered a new gasket set (holes are still small) and plan on enlarging these holes unless someone tells me that these holes are small for a reason.

3) Took off intake manifold and checked thermostat. Thermostat expanded +1/2 inch when heated up to 190F. The temperature guage when running fluctuates from 120F to 190F constantly. I took the thermostat out and the temperature guage did the same thing.

Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

You're working with ancient equipment there, pardner! Not many [eople are familiar with them, but you might ask around at slant six forum. They mess with all kinds and years of Mopars.

Jeff

First confirm that you're actually overheating. Check block and manifold temperatures with an IR temp gun. I had a temp gauge that would slowly climb up to 240 and the engine wasnt even running. Obviously it was a bad temp sender.

-JJ

Either that or you're on the way to discovering the "magic" alternative energy the Doofus in Chief is looking for.

Jeff

Sounds like a head gasget problem on that one side.Or water jacket plugged.Did you use any gasget sealer with assembling.Gasget sealer is a bad idea to use.If too much will dry in the system will plug something up.Most people go crazy with gasget sealer.
You need to run a water presure test on the whole system to find your leak.Your leaking somewhere causing air a pocket.Water's going somewhere.Or the water pump isn't up to par.

Back