Logo

Powerhead removal

epflynn

60 hp chrysler i need to rebu

60 hp chrysler i need to rebuild swivel bracket to fix hard steering. does the powerhead unbolt and disconnect from the rest of the outboard and is there anything that will fall out or some type of tool needed what is the easiest way to do it. thanks eric

" epflynn,

Well.. I

" epflynn,

Well.. I have pulled merc powerheads, but never a chrysler, was hoping someone would help, since they haven't here's my best guess. The only thing I'm not sure about is what's there for fasteners - I'm guessing studs coming from the powerhead, as a merc would have, but it could be bolts or a mix.

To start, I'd pull the lower unit, it's not neccesary, but sometimes the driveshaft and crank become frozen, and also, it'll be easier to pull the powerhead off without it, as it could bind. I'm not sure how the shift-shaft goes on that, but be sure it doesn't have to be removed as well.

There's probably going to be studs coming down from the powerhead, attaching it to the exhaust housing; remove any cowel that covers the area where the powerhead and exhaust housing meet. Be sure you find and remove all fasters (bolts or nuts(if indeed they are studs) ). Go around and determine what you would like to leave on and what you would like to take off the powerhead when removing it - get it set up so that you can pull it right off. Taking pictures is a great way to remember it later. Figure out how to attach something to the top of the crank or flywheel or powerhead without doing damage; hook it up overhead with a come-along or winch or whatever. Shake the powerhead loose and pluck it straight off. Be sure to use new gaskets when you put that back on.

Jon "

Back