Logo

Power Trim Tilt will not lower

StickyFubu

hi everyone. 1st time boat owner and having some trouble with my 1991 Lasrson. has 125 Merc outboard. i bought it last saturday and the guy who i bought it from showed me how to raise and lower the motor. being that ive never had a boat before i was listening intently. i got my boat home after a 3 hour drive and started to play around. i pressed the tilt trim switch located on the throttle and pressed up. no problem, hydraulics kick in and it raises. i press down on the toggle and nothing. doesnt lower, doesnt make a sound. after vast research online and talking to the previous owner, he thought it had hydraulic lock because of the drive home and it was in the most raised positon, so i bled the fluid and it came down manually. i replaced the fluid and tried again. goes up, but still no power coming down. started to read that it is probably a faulty relay. i switch the two relays and same result. up and no down. not even a click that you hear in the relays. i read further and pulled the down relay and placed jumper wire between the terminal from battery and the trim/tilt terminal, bypassing the relay, and it lowered. so this is where i am now confused. by testing both relays and then testing the motor, does this indicate that the actual switch is the issue? any help would be greatly appreciated. want to get out and do some fishing this weekend!

Most definitely the switch. It could be bad contact. Before tearing it apart, turn off power, then spray electrical cleaner in and around the switch and move it back and forth many times as if you were raising & lowering. Turn on power and see if that worked. If not either repair or replace switch. Many of the older ones can be taken apart and cleaned up.

Back