Logo

Power Steering Issue with Ocean 57 SF

tomchidls54

The steering on my Ocean 57 SF has a dead spot that is about 1/2 of a turn and when get it over the hump at the end of the dead spot the boat oversteers to correct. I best describe it as "you turn, nothing happens, you count to 8 and then she turns. Very hard to go straight. The steering system is Hynautic 3 line with:
  1. Single hynautic helm pump
  2. Autopilot
  3. Hynautic hydraulic reservoir
  4. Hydraulic filter
  5. Hydraulic cooler
  6. Power steering pump integrated into engine
  7. Power assist ram
Here is the story:
  1. A year ago noticed the steering ram was leaking out the seal and saw that rod was pitted.
  2. As couldn't find new, replaced ram with a rebuilt one
  3. Steering worked as normal for ~ 6 months
  4. Steering started the above described behavior
  5. Replaced the helm pump, bled system... no change
  6. Removed the Ram and sent it back. Tested under his pressure and found a small leak in the power assist control box. Repaired. Reinstalled, bled system... no change
Other observations:
  1. The autopilot can steer and go straight for a while but will "loose rudder" and need to be reset - after which she'd steer straight until the next time it "lost rudder"
  2. The last time I had her out and steering manually you could hear the help pump moaning.
  3. With the engines off I can steer the rudders to starboard but once hit the limit, I can't steer them back
Next steps:
  1. Trying to get a friend with a power bleeder over to re-bleed the entire system.
  2. Rebuilding the original help pump and will replace the new one.
  3. ANY GOOD SUGGESTION FROM THIS FORUM - - HELP PLEASE

are you sure you are bleeding the system 'correctly'?

have you tried to isolate the engine pump from the Hynautic system to identify which portion has the issue?

what does the pressure gauge do when you hit the 'dead spot'?

Back