Logo

Power steering hoses

SDSF

I have twin Mercruiser 5.0L 1985. When I am fishing I am trolling with only one motor running. In order to run my auto pilot I need power steering, which is on the starboard motor. This means my starboard motor racks up a lot more hours than my port motor. I'm looking to move my power steering pump over to the port side for a while so I can get some hours on it. It looks easy with just a couple bolts and a belt to move the pump over. But, I need longer hoses to reach that side. Is there anywhere that I can get the proper longer hoses or do they need to be custom made?

Check again , I`m sure you already have a pump but the lines are just looped together
The low pressure hose is not a problem , oil line hose can be used because there is no pressure on the return hose .
piece it out to reach the PS cooler on the port motor. the high pressure hose can be extended with the correct coupling for the 2 male ends

I've looked into it but to convert to hydraulic and upgrade autopilot is around $3500, and I plan to upgrade boats within the next 5 years so it makes that a difficult investment to make.

Longer hoses can be made up by a good hydraulics supply store. Don't forget to relocate the oil cooler as well.

Jeff

However, not sure what an oil cooler has to do with this?

Ayuh,.... If the P/S oil cooler ain't hooked up, you'll Smoke the pump in very short order,....

It's mounted in the in-comin' water line from the drive, 'n the return fluid passes through it,....

To join 2 hi-pressure P/S lines, I believe you'll find a 3/8" automotive brake line union will do the job,....

It's a 1985 boat that you are getting out of in the next 5 years. Just leave it. Idle hours for the auto helm are not wearing out your engine.

Good perspective to put on it I guess. However, a couple hundred hours a year adds up to about 1000 hours difference over 5 years. Not the end of the world, but if I can swap back and forth, say each spring and then swap mid-season again, I can keep both engines and outdrives on same maint schedule, etc.

Your maintenance schedule is to change the oil at the end of the season and to change your gear oil and water pump once a year if used in salt water. That is correct, pressure water pumps should be changed every year if used in salt water.,

Back