Logo

Power steering 200 hp Johnson 22’ center console

Has anyone here successfully converter their boat to power steering ?
if so what kit did you use and how difficult was it to perform ?
the jacket on one of my steering cables (the other one was already replaced ) is getting pretty worn showing rusted cable under it . Wondering if I should replace the cable or upgrade all together

Replacing the cable certainly would be a lot less expensive.
Sometimes it’s not just about the cost of the part , but also the amount of work to do the job.
If I can upgrade my steering with the same (or just a little more) work than just replacing the cable , I’m ok with spending more money for the kit

The only PS system I'm aware of (SeaStar) would require removing the entire cable steer system and replacing it with a hydraulic steering system, plus the power steering kit. Back to my mindset, the real question is how much do you want it, or how tired are you of steering that feels like an old dump truck?

The only PS system I'm aware of (SeaStar) would require removing the entire cable steer system and replacing it with a hydraulic steering system, plus the power steering kit. Back to my mindset, the real question is how much do you want it, or how tired are you of steering that feels like an old dump truck?

Thanks anyways .
Found my answers elsewhere . It’s really neither expensive or difficult .

Uhhhh nope. Power steering uses a belt driven pump off top of flywheel to a cylinder and bias control to assist regular cable steering . A hydraulic steering is a helm pump driving a cylinder thru hoses. Power steering pic below...
s-l1600.png

Last edited:
Back