Logo

Potential new to me 2002 Honda 130

marottaj

Hey Guys,

New to the forum...looking at picking up a sea craft master angler with a 2002 130 Honda. I have noticed that they extended the warrant on this engine for 10 years for engine block cracks and cylinder head cracks. It appears that my engine has potential for cylinder head creack. This kind of worries me. I have a few questions....

1) Would you steer away from this boat if it has never been inspected?
2) How would you inspect for block cracks or cylinder cracks, any well to tell if something is imminent.
3) What is cost of repair if something like this happened or do you just replace.

Thanks in advance.

I think a 13 year old BF130 is for DIYers only at this point. You're going to have to get messy with it. I can't afford to pay someone else $95/hr on any motor so the 130 is just another used motor to me. If you primarily pay for your engine services, best to stay away, or repower while it still holds some value.

I tend to agree with Yamaham. Two years ago I was helping two lady friends evaluate a World Cat they were interested in buying. It had twin 1999 130's. After I did some investigation and exchanged a few e-mails with Hondadude (who knows these engines very well) I think there were at least three outstanding service bulletins on those engines and none had been performed. I recommended to my friends that they walk away, even though the engines performed flawlessly at sea trial. I think that it is telling that those engines had a very short production run as marine engines go. Honda now makes a 135 which I understand is very different that the original 130's.

In short, if I were in the market for a used boat, I would not consider any with a Honda 130 UNLESS I knew I could bargain for such a low price I could repower with a new engine.

Back