Logo

poppet valve

redsnapper386

Regular Contributor
guys does water have to flow through the poppet valve.what is the purpose once water leaves the top of block.could i take the hose off at the valve and let it exit through the cowling. i have good strong flow coming out of top of block.it seems like i have seen this on race motors.i have an on going over heat alarm going off. all parts new ,water pump,thermo,temp sender,gauges,ect.also the tell tale stream is slugish.1993 merc 2.5 200 hp carb black max.thanks in advance.

The poppet valve is a pressure relief valve. If the impeller was in pieces when changed did you get all the pieces out? A chunk may be impeding water flow causing the alarm. What is the telltale flow if you pull off the hose where it comes out of the block? If it is strong you need to probe the hose...it may have a spider nest in it impeding flow.

i took hose off,cleared it,i have a better tell tale but the alarm still comes on once in awhile at idle then goes off.i also ran some salt away through the system.guess i will do a back flush next.thanks.

Back