Logo

Plz help lower leaking

Scolabird

Hello all I replaced impeller and upon bolting everything back together.. (the part inside the water intake screen) is now leaking oil from around the gear shift rod. I have attached a lower unit seal kit photo and cant figure which seal or seals would be bad to allow lower unit oil to leak up and out around that little rod and then drip down skeg. I currently have bear9ng carrier pulled from the lower but not sure which seal goes around that shift rod or maybe pinion gear??? Any help is huge and gr8ly appreciated yall

There is no seal on the pinion gear !!----There is an o-ring on the shift rod that seals oil in and water out.----That o-ring is often overlooked.-----You have to pull the bushing out to replace that o-ring.

There is no seal on the pinion gear !!----There is an o-ring on the shift rod that seals oil in and water out.----That o-ring is often overlooked.-----You have to pull the bushing out to replace that o-ring.

Man thanks for the reply! I didnt know if any1 would understand my questions lol.... what is the "bushing" that needs to come out and how does one remove said bushing thx

Model # of your motor ?-----I am guessing that bushing is part # 326361 is the bushing.-----You run a tap in there 5/16-NC thread and pull it out.

I'm sorry to be so ignorant...
I'm 2k$ into a shop repair bill and on second use of my boat (which ain't worth 2k$)
Water pump fail and oil leaking up around lower shift shaft! I am now forced to play mechanic and folks like you Racerone are greatly appreciated. All I know is my lower unit is a 1 piece not the old school style... Its an electric start star 35hp from i think 1989.

All that said... must i remove that little lower shift rod before tapping and trying to pull bushing? I am having a bear of a time removing the Phillip's screw at bottom of l.u. which i believe holds the shift yoke in place??? Once i get that Phillip's screw loose of shift yoke will that little shift rod just fall out??? Am I tapping threads in that or the brass bushing presumably underneath that rod inside l.u?? Is the idea to tap a few threads at 5/16 then use 5/16rod and snatch upward on rod i.e. a slide hammer? Some folks say u must have some tool that goes into bottom side then magically attaches to a top side tool thus pulling up ward tension (slide hammer) to remove bushing and worn seal from top side nearest waterpump.

Sorry again for my ignorance and inexperience but I greatly appreciate any/all help yall
I'm batting .1000 cuz wife wanted to sell the boat prior to the 2k$ mechanics visit :(
Plz help

What sort of work added up to $2000 ??-----Your location ?---Salt water area ?-----Can you not post a model # ?-----Yes I know what lower unit you have with the disconnect behind the screen !!---So the water pump failed after you paid $2000 for repairs ?------Have you or the shop tested the warning horn for overheat ?-----Stop ----You do not have to tear the entire lower unit apart to replace that o-ring.----Just turn the lower shift rod out.----Pull the bushing out !!!-----Post compression test values before spending any more beer tokens on it.----Picture of you motor ?-----

Last edited:
Always had gear/clutch issues with original motor took to shop and guy robbed me..
Kept it for 5 months turned off phones and locked gates(claimed medical)
He put my powered on a new middle and lower (all supposedly gone thru and rebuilt) plus some other horse crap, tires dry rotted, solenoid went bad all, in hindsight was lies.

No to current issue I don't have PC only a phone which won't allow posting pics??? Never overheated or had trouble because I shut down as soon as I noticed sporradic/weak stream. Replace water pump kit as I have for years yet this time emerged l.u. oil leaking around lower shift rod. Tore all apart and am missing long reach snap ring pliers to get c-rings/retainers out of l.u.
Regarding your comment on being able to simply turn the lower shift rod out and remove bushing... how does one accomplish this i have pushed/pulled and twisted shift rod in both directions it appears to be held in place some way(i may just be overlooking something? Maybe the seized Phillips screw at bottom of lower holds that shifter rod in place??) Thanks again for any feedback any criticism is good criticism at this point

That lower shift rod just screws out.-----Reach in from top with long slender screw driver I think.------But I think I will step aside here.-----I could replace that o-ring in very little time with no cuss words.----Sometimes folks can not understand simple instructions.-----The lower unit does not need to come all apart for to change that o-ring.

Sorry if it appeared I wasn't following simple instruction Racer however I already had lower carrier apart (might as well do all seals since lower was full of water?)

Per my previous unanswered question...
Regarding your comment on being able to simply turn the lower shift rod out and remove bushing... how does one accomplish this i have pushed/pulled and twisted shift rod in both directions it appears to be held in place some way(i may just be overlooking something? Maybe the seized Phillips screw at bottom of lower holds that shifter rod /yoke in place??)

Any other feedback?

No the Phillips screw screw has nothing to to with removing the lower shift rod !!!--It is the pivot pin for the shifter fork.-----Model # of your motor will help others to assist you.----Sorry

Got the bushing out with a tap and allthread!
Tapped new 1 in and just below flush with l.u. now my shift rod lower doesnt thread in straight? It is at the slightest angle ??? Furthermore upon screwing it into shift yoke and trying to shift gears it feels and appears to shift however the prop will free spin in either direction regardless of nuetral f or reverse?? Any ideeers??

Back