Logo

Please help, yet another issue. Have to trim up to rev up...

Hi,

I have an 83 Johnson 70 hp and have had issues with it all summer. It has been tuned up, and has had many cleaning, adjustments and tweaks from outboard mechanics and was running great.

However now, it will stall out when I attempt to go over 2k RPM. I have found a work around and if I trim up, and stay around 2k RPM after a few minutes you can hear the engine starting reving higher. I can then open the throttle and trim down and it will get up to 5500 RPM and run well. However, once I go into neutral I have to start the whole process over.

I had some issues that seemed similar and it turned out to be water in the carbs, but I have drained and cleaned them without resolve. I also noted that when I was taking off the airbox, there was some oil on the airbox cover.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

The last mechanic I had it at, adjusted throttle linkages and synced it. It was running great. Then this just started happening.

I am a noobie, what is a double bottom? The boat is stored on dry land if that matters when thinking something may be water soaked.

Thanks!

The boat is a 16' Sunbird bowrider.

It does have that lower storage unit and it does get water in it normally. I have often wondered how this happens and have to drain it after everyuse. There is usually an estimate of a couple to a few gallons in it after a good boat trip. It seems to be all fibreglass under there. How would I go out determining if it is the issue, and drying it out? space heater maybe?

Back