Logo

Please help with loss of RPMS

kfish07

I have a Volvo AQ130C and have lost about 2-300 rpms on the top end. It also has a new weber carb on ti and a hot spark electronic ignition, new high energy coil, fuel pump diaphram, plugs and plug wires. Checked the timing and it is right on a 900 rpms at 12 degs before top dead center but when I check the advanced timing per book instructions at 2000 rpms and is suppose to be at 27-29 degs and it is at 31-32 degs could this be from weak springs in my bosch distributor and if so can they be replaced and where can you get these springs. Hope someone can please help me. Thanks Matt

Did you set up the Weber as per the instructions? If this problem just started after the Weber was installed, then that is where I would be looking. Really important to make sure you follow their instructions, or you can be setting yourself up for a lean condition at higher rpm's.

Good luck

Rob.

The boat was setup per instructions from weber and ran great on the top end and low end for about a year and a half then lost some rpms on the top end, checked the butterflies and they are straight up and down at full throttle also checked the fuel screen not very dirty at all but cleaned it anyway. I suppose I could pull the needle jets out and look at them, but when you put them back in do you just tighten them until they bottom out or is there a setting for them, I know the low speed needles are set to how weber recomended to do so at setup. I did find a place to rebuild my distributor for around $150.00. Thanks Matt

One other note when I changed my spark plugs I noticed the No. 4 cylinder plug was a little wet like it wasn't burning up all the gas. Thanks Matt

I could do a compression test since it isn't that hard to do but the motor was brand new top to bottom in 2010 the only thing that wasn't rebuilt was the distributor. Thanks Matt

My no 4 had some rust on the seat and the valve was not sealing this was 2 years after a head overhaul. I agree time for a compression test.

Back