Logo

Please help, 440 crapped out!!!

epdanielson

I recently purchased a 1983 Century Arabian with a Chrysler 440 in it. It tested out fine, took it out the evening before the first lake day of the year and idled and reved the engine up to test everything out and it sounded great. Went to the lake the following day and everything started fine, ran smooth and strong for 20-30 minutes. We pulled into a cove to say hello to some friends hanging out on their dock and brought the engine down to an idle for about 3 minutes while we said our hellos. As we were about to take off the engine just chocked out and wouldn't start. After getting towed in and assessing the situation the fuel pump was making a grinding noise. I figured this was the problem and replaced it. The boat still wouldn't start and acted the same way, turning over but never firing up.

At this point my holiday was over and I didn't have time to tinker with it and delivered it to a mechanic. He tells me the entire electrical system is shot and I am looking at at least $1,000 to get it fixed.

Given that everything ran so well up into the point it shut down leads me to believe that it may not really be that complicated. Any ideas or suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Uuugh! Electrical system problems! (I hate them!)

If the wires are all burnt up--possibly from a dead short--then a grand to repair ALL that is not unreasonable.

Sorry.

Jeff

Back