Logo

Phelon Magneto Question

fastjeff

Gold Medal Contributor
On your typical Phelon magneto for a two cylinder Merc, which coil firs the top plug: the right one or the left?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

check the post adjacent to the coil (the stud where the capacitor lead joins up with the feed from the coil, plus a "third" white OR pink wire). Cylinder one should have a white lead and cylinder two should have a pink lead at that post)

You guys are a lot of help!

1. The flywheel is installed and tighten down, so I can't eyeball the points location (and be dammed if I'll pull it again).

2. The ignition wires are new (and "Mr. Dopey" didn't mark the old ones before....you know).

3. The "left sdie" of the motor is ALWAYS the left side! "Come on, man!"

My buddy Bob offered me the only practical advise I've gotten: look for where the flywheel magnets are bolted on, and see which cylinder is near TDC.

Jeff

Last edited:
With the flywheel on I think Bob's advice is the best I can think of.

It's been way too long since I have seen one of these to remember which side what is on...

Good one here----The " left side is always the left side "------Perhaps that is why they came up with the terms ------PORT and STARBOARD.

Hence my question as to what side he was standing on. Some people don't know port from starboard. In any event, port is the answer.

Yes, but do you know why it's called "port" and "starboard".

History lesson time (just to keep the thread light :))

Way back in the days of early sailing vessels which were steered by a tiller/rudder, since most people are right handed the tiller was slightly offset to the right side of the hull - and since navigation was done by the stars (at night) it became known as the "starboard" which got "slanged" into meaning the right side of the ship/boat if you were holding the tiller looking towards the bow.

The "port" side was the side of the boat (the left side) that you approached the shore with when landing so that you didn't damage your "starboard" rendering the vessel incapable of steering...

And here ends today's nautical history lesson :)

Back