Logo

PFDbs

Going to replace my life vests

Going to replace my life vests this year and was looking at the auto/manual inflatable ones for me and the wife. Am going to buy standard ones for guests but was wondering if any of you have the auto/manual ones and is it worth the cost.

What are your thoughts....

Barry

"Alot depends upon where you b

"Alot depends upon where you boat and what you do while boating. Last time I checked, most 'inflatables' were only TYPE 3. personally, I would much rather have a TYPE 1 jacket out in the ocean. if you are on a fairly well protected body of water, you may feel comfortable with another type.

Another consideration: if you have a lot of guests, you may want to consider the impression your approach may have on them. having a few years of charter fishing in my past, I can tell you on many occasions, my 'guests' were very satisfied they had the same safety gear available for them that i use. How would you feel in the 'guest's ' position?"

I don't care for the auto

I don't care for the auto infate type as god forbid you end up with a capsise situation and you are in the cabin. They make it almost imposible to get out. Just my opinion

"I tend to agree with both of

"I tend to agree with both of you. Auto inflate may cause a problem in some circumstances and they typically occur very quickly.

Mark, I would feel the way you think as a "guest" not having the same equipment to use...Similiarly to any type of rental scenario. You may believe you are using less than standard

I remember fishing with a friend who had never fished and used a rod and reel combo from the boat instead of having his own and his comments were that this stuff was not nearly as good as what I had brought for myself. The fact that he caught nothing made it even worse driving home with him
biggrin.gif

We have all Type 1 jackets on board"

"We carry 10 Type 1 life jacke

"We carry 10 Type 1 life jackets in the boat. Also carry 4 CG approved water-ski vests and this fall I just bought two type 3 manual inflatable jackets for our tender. I carry 4 type 1 in the tender but I do not/did not wear a life jacket while driving the tender.

There is a strong rumour that the Canadian Coast Guard is going to mandate that all occupants of any boat 14 feet and under must be wearing an "authorized" life jacket while in the vessel.

I bought two type 3s on Ebay(both brand new)...one is a MUSTANG and I forget what the other model is but I paid a little over 50.00 USD for each...but I did get them at the end of the season.

The reason for only two is that the "Admiral" and I spend more time in "The Little Boat" than "guests" and we want to be comfortable ...the guests only need a jacket when we transit out to the boat or back to shore from the boat...they can wear the "horse collar"
biggrin.gif
"

"As Paul White states above in

"As Paul White states above in case of a capsize and you are in the cabin you will not get out. We had a fishing boat here in San Diego Ca that was making a run at the harbor opening on a stormy afternoon. The boat broached in a swell and rolled with everyone in the cabin. Everyone got out except the skipper. His PFD auto inflated and he was trapped. luckily he was able to draw his knife, puncture his vest and swim out. He said he would have drowned."

Back