Logo

Perkins T6.354 counter rotating water pump question

Hoplite808

My boat is powered by a pair of Perkins T6.354's that were new around 1988. The motors both run great but recently the starboard engines water circulating pump's seals failed. The engine is a counter rotating setup and of course this would be a different part from the regular rotation pump. Additionally from what I can tell is the part hasn't been made for several decades now and is essentially unobtanium. The bolt pattern appears the same to put a normal rotation pump on the engine and as best I can figure it should work okay but probably won't be quite as efficient. Does anyone have any experience with doing this that could help me keep these motors going strong.

If the pump uses a cast impeller, they are usually bidirectional...if it is stamped steel, it may be directional... worst case, you can remove the old impeller and put it on the new pump...

The coolant pump can be rebuilt. Most require the pulley to be pressed off. The pump probably has a bronze bushing for a bearing and a seal. Both can be bought from a good bearing supply. I rebuild all my pumps. http://www.waterpumpman.com/ should be able to rebuild the pump.

Back