Logo

performance #'s for honda 1994 225 hp

Mikestyger1

Well i got to open it up yesterday and the water was like glass...for most of the time. It's a 2004 BF225Honda on a 25ft proline sport. Went 35 miles one way in glass, had a storm hit and turned the water choppy, left the engine on for about 45minutes, and did the next 37 miles back to the ramp in a light chop.
I got 2.3 mpg
Total distance was 72 miles
Used 31.3xxx gallons
Top speed at 6000 rpms with 3 guys and full tank was 36mph
crusining speed of 30 @ 5000
I'm still learning how to use my trim tabs so I may get better numbers after I learn that.
I am hoping to get up to the stated 3mpgs with this honda, but not sure if that's possible. Anyone else have numbers for me to compare to? Thanks

Re: performance #'s for honda 225

My C-Hawk 25 (9'6"beam, modified V hull, just like a Parker 25) has a similar performance, but I'm getting right at 3.0 MPG at 4200 rpm. That is the peak of the performance curve. At 6000 rpm (WOT) my efficiency drops down to about 2.0 mpg. I assume your outbound trip was near WOT and you stated that your return trip in a light chop was at 5000 rpm. So, given the load you were carrying, and the rpm's you were making, that 2.3 mpg is very good.

On my boat, top speed at WOT is just shy of 40 mph. However, with 3 men onboard and a full tank, your 36 mph is about what I would expect to get.

Once you are up on plane and cruising, it's best to raise your trim tabs up all the way unless you are porpoising or your weight distribution is badly off. Then, at constant rpm, play with your motor trim to maximize speed. On my boat, setting the motor trim one notch above the gauge mid-point is optimal. If you are porpoising, then lower your trip tabs the absolute minimum to get it to stop.

Also, make these measurements using GPS speed. The Honda pitit speed pick up is notoriously inaccurate and prone to clogging. And, transducer mounted water wheels tend to not be very accurate at higher speeds.

Thanks for the tips Chawk. You are dead on with what I was doing. next time I'll try your suggestions and see if i can get up to 40mph.

I got all the filters changed and the fuel lines and all that stuff and it seemed to work pretty well. There was one time after running at 5000rpms for about 20minutes that i stopped for a few and turned the engine off. After about 20 minutes of fishing I started it up and as I was giving it gas it sputtered and died on me around 2000 rpms. Turned it on again and ran like a charm. Had about 40 miles after that and everything ran perfectly. hopefully that wasn't anything to worry about, but don't think I'm ready for that middle grounds trip just yet. Thanks

BTW...whats' your cruising speed at when you are running at 4200rps? On long trips I am thinking it would be more beneficial if I stay at that and get better mpgs than to get there faster.
Mike

I am running a Honda 225 on a SeaCraft 23WA. I think it is lighter than your 25 Proline. I also run a a NorthStar fuel flow instrument as I was more concerned with fuel consumption than speed. I run at 37/3800 rpm @ 27-28 MPH. The fuel flow gauge tells me the consumption is around 4.8/5.0 gph, which is excellent compared to my old Merc 200hp 2 stroke. I am also running a Honda/PowerTech 4 blade prop designed to list the stern while running. The 4 blade gives better mid range economy. I do not use my trim tabs unless in real choppy water. I also trim to motor up to max speed when I reach normal cruising speed.

My cruising speed at 4200 rpm is 25 to 26 mph.

It is a good practice to run that engine at WOT for a while when conditions permit it. It blows out the carbon and helps keep valves and rings seated well. Currently, I use gas that is treated with Valvtect, so do not need additives or stabilizers. BUT, if you are not using that, it's a good idea to run some Ring Free or Sea Foam through your tank once or twice a year to help clean out the carbon and keep valves and rings properly seated.

I have a Honda 225 on a Harbercraft Kingfisher 2525 (26 ft. aluminum; overall cruise weight about 7,000 lbs)

WOT: 38 MPH
RPM: 5400
Prop: 15 x 17

Overall fuel average on trips is 2.6 miles per gallon. I am not sure if I should re-prop to get my WOT RPM's closer to 6000. I really wish I have better fuel economy.

Only have about 60 hours on motor; do have some soot buildup around exhaust.

You can probably get closer to the recommended 6000 rpm WOT with a smaller prop. On my 6000 lb boat I have a 14.25" X 15" which gets me right at the 6000 mark and the fuel economy I stated earlier. If you dropped down your prop size you will also likely get better economy.

One other thing. With only 60 hours, it is unlikely that your rings and valves have completely seated. As they do, your fuel economy and performance will improve a little bit. Up to 200 hours you should run the engine at WOT as much as practical in order to break it in and get everything seated well.

Back