Logo

Pee hole dribbling water in cold weather

C

Chris Krug

" I had my water pump checked

" I had my water pump checked at the beginning of the season and the pressure was fine. It has worked all season until one cold morning in October (34 degrees). The water dribbles out and sometimes stops all together. I shut her down and went home. A couple of guys at work tell me that the motor might not have been hot enough to call for water out of the pee hole and it was being diverted to the prop. Would like an expert opinion before I listen to them. Thanks. Bye the way, it? a 40hp Mariner 1993 "

"Chris,

You should see a go

"Chris,

You should see a good stream of water at the pee hole regardless of the engine temperature.

The fitting where the water exits may be clogged with debris. If there is no clog there or in the tell-tale hose, then either there is an obstruction or leaky gasket somewhere in the cooling system,or there is a problem with the pump.

"

Thanks Tony. I have heard of

Thanks Tony. I have heard of this tell-tale hose but do not know which one it is right off hand. Could you tell me which one it is? Thanks.

" Chris,

If you look at the

" Chris,

If you look at the plastic fitting on the bottom cowling where the water streams out, you should be able to find a hose on the inside that leads to the fitting.

If you could give me the model number or serial number I could check this out more carefully. There are some models where the water shoots out directly from the block through the cowling, and these have no hose inside the cowling.

Tony "

Thanks again Tony! When I got

Thanks again Tony! When I got home from work Sat. morning I removed the cover and found the hose that leads to the plastic fitting. It was only a compression fit so I pulled the hose off and was never more happy to see leaves in my life. Wish I would have approached this more simply from the beginning but I thought that the cold weather might of had a hand in what was going on. I wasn't sure if cooling water was always called for or only at a certain temp. At least I'll be smarter for the experience. Thanks Again!!

Back