Logo

Parts or fix? J8REOD 1995 8HP Johnson

jim18611865

Regular Contributor
I have has this for 6-8 years and no issues. Son had it out and said it felt like it hit something.
Engine revved up and no water suddenly coming out the telltale.
Popped the lower today and it appears the splines in the drive shaft are well ground down.
I would have to assume the crank shaft isn't pretty either.
Is this a parts engine now?
Shame because it runs so well. Drive shaft is maybe available, but the crank is not. Nor do I want to crack open the engine.

Thanks

Jim

Have a 1991 model with stripped spline as well.----Parts are NLA on these -.-----So make your own or scan E-bay till something shows up in your budget.

Hard to say.---The crankshaft is carbon steel.-----I do not believe there was an issue with earlier style coarse spline.-----Then perhaps they outsourced the parts to assemble motors.----Perhaps substandard material ( chinesium ) stainless was used.----Plus the contract was for so many shafts made far away.------The Evinrude factory became a place where motors were assembled.-----The Evinrude / Johnson factories lost parts production capability.----That is why many parts are listed as NLA.----I get calls from 1000 miles away from nice folks looking for NLA parts.

Jim, if the driveshaft is completely stripped off, then there may be some hope. Remove powerhead for inspection. If half the splines are left there in the crankshaft, then call Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN to see if they have your parts. This will include base gasket, impeller, shaft....perhaps prop too. 218 682 2331.

Last edited:
Manufacturing of small motors stopped in North America.-----All of them were selling the same rebadged 2 or 3 HP motor built offshore.------Just different paint and decals.

There were lots of Belgium stamped 8hp shipped to N America. I have two of them, a sweet running ‘94, (Evinrude badged), & a Johnson badged ‘91, which may be a parts motor, it got overheated.

I might be able to send you an entire bottom end, I think the ‘91 will bolt right on. My neighbours daughter is on a scholarship at Quinniac University. Once the border opens, he’s going down for a visit, drives right by your place.

Attachments

• 5ABE0451-4E38-4C2C-BDC6-4E4C6DB28F27.jpeg
    5ABE0451-4E38-4C2C-BDC6-4E4C6DB28F27.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 16
Thanks for the offer but that would be asking a lot for a person going off to college.
I did just buy a bore scope to inspect the crankshaft.
If it is OK, I may search out the driveshaft.

Thanks
Jim

I am looking for a driveshaft for one myself.---Stripped splines on the shaft.-------Had a phone call the other day from someone looking for a driveshaft for a 1997 8 HP 20" model.----So a fairly common failure I say.-----Have look in a bin at one dealer to see if there is a shaft there.----Case of suds presented on a hot day gets me triple the value in parts.

I may have to check out my dealer. Lots of old engines on that lake still running.
He had other obsolete parts I couldn't find before.
Thanks
Jim

I am looking for a driveshaft for one myself.---Stripped splines on the shaft.-------Had a phone call the other day from someone looking for a driveshaft for a 1997 8 HP 20" model.----So a fairly common failure I say.-----Have look in a bin at one dealer to see if there is a shaft there.----Case of suds presented on a hot day gets me triple the value in parts.
Right after I posted, I saw your post. I only bought the motor for the new prop, & a few spares. I’d have given you the drive shaft, as I thought this motor was toast, (60psi).
after sanding the head flat, I reassembled,(using the old gasket), & it now shows a hair over 110 psi.
im going to resurrect it, cylinder walls looked good, & no visible damage with the exhaust cover off.
if it turns out to be a bust, I’ll bring you the drive shaft.

Back