Logo

Parts Needed but not sure exactly what to order for a 4.3LX/V6 MerCruiser Alpha One sterndrive

Mike MGM

Parts Needed but not sure exactly what to order for a 4.3LX/V6 MerCruiser Alpha One sterndrive

1995 Celebrity 18” runabout with a 4.3LX/V6 Alpha One sterndrive.
Engine serial number 0F590542
Transom serial number 0F574323
Drive serial number 0F521054

Engine only has 230 hours on it. I am going to replace all the seals on the outdrive. I am getting water leaking into the bilge. The seals were replaced 5 years ago but I think this is the best preventive solution after some prior advice from this forum. It appears to be an Alpha One maybe Gen 2 sterndrive, but the exhaust bellows is not wavy rubber it is a straight walled piece of rubber. It looks like a Mercury Bravo Exhaust bellows tube not the wavy exhaust bellows tube like on a Gen 2 kit. Here is a picture from underneath the sterndrive.

I have a few questions:
  • Are the replacement maintenance parts kits for the alpha one gen 2 fit my sterndrive and I just need a straight walled exhaust bellows? I see a lot of complete kits set up online, but I don’t see any full kits with the straight exhaust bellows tube. I only see the Bravo Alpha exhaust bellows available as a separate item.
  • The 300-hour maintenance kits online can range from a MerCruiser kit at $500 to a Chinese kit at $50. Why such a big price swing? I get it that the branded kit is better quality but is it worth 10X the price or will the Chinese kit last me 4 or 5 years? I am going to do the work myself for the first time but based on the videos it doesn’t look that hard.
  • What is the approximate weight of the sterndrive when I pull it off the transom? The boat is in a storage facility, and I do not have an engine hoist or lift. Can I muscle it off or and lay it down on a dolly or is it too heavy? Thoughts are appreciated.
Thank You

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_9057.jpg
    IMG_9057.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1
Based on what you have written, I strongly suggest you do not do this yourself.

You need at least one special tool for ujoint bellows installation and if you intend to replace shift cable bellows that can open a big can of worms. (You will need to partially dissassemble cable to remove inner core and the remove cable itself to get new bellows on then reassemble and make proper adjustments for shifting)

Seeing as you are unsure of the drive type (gen 1 or gen 2), i am not sure you want to spend hours on this site asking all the questions you will have trying to figure all this out.

Also why would you want to RESEAL the drive or do you mean, new bellows replacement?

The use of fhe solid exhaust tube vs the bellows is a correct fix/replacement as the exhaust is not a water leak concern. (Water is already mixed with exhaust)

1995 Celebrity 18” runabout with a 4.3LX/V6 Alpha One sterndrive.
Engine serial number 0F590542
Transom serial number 0F574323
Drive serial number 0F521054

Engine only has 230 hours on it. I am going to replace all the seals on the outdrive. I am getting water leaking into the bilge. The seals were replaced 5 years ago but I think this is the best preventive solution after some prior advice from this forum. It appears to be an Alpha One maybe Gen 2 sterndrive, but the exhaust bellows is not wavy rubber it is a straight walled piece of rubber. It looks like a Mercury Bravo Exhaust bellows tube not the wavy exhaust bellows tube like on a Gen 2 kit. Here is a picture from underneath the sterndrive.

I have a few questions:
  • Are the replacement maintenance parts kits for the alpha one gen 2 fit my sterndrive and I just need a straight walled exhaust bellows? I see a lot of complete kits set up online, but I don’t see any full kits with the straight exhaust bellows tube. I only see the Bravo Alpha exhaust bellows available as a separate item.
  • The 300-hour maintenance kits online can range from a MerCruiser kit at $500 to a Chinese kit at $50. Why such a big price swing? I get it that the branded kit is better quality but is it worth 10X the price or will the Chinese kit last me 4 or 5 years? I am going to do the work myself for the first time but based on the videos it doesn’t look that hard.
  • What is the approximate weight of the sterndrive when I pull it off the transom? The boat is in a storage facility, and I do not have an engine hoist or lift. Can I muscle it off or and lay it down on a dolly or is it too heavy? Thoughts are appreciated.
Thank You

Mike
All of the bellows have to be corrugated with the exception of the exhaust, in order to allow the drive to raise and lower. If not, it would never raise without pulling the bellows off of where they attach.

Where are you looking at these parts? The transom seal kit (Alpha 1 Gen 2 Transom Bellows Repair/Reseal Kit 30-803099T1) isn't $500 and the only things that would cause water coming into the bilge that doesn't involve some kind of leak in the boat (other than the drive) are the bellows for the yoke/u-joint shaft and the shift cable boot. If those bellows leak, you should see water coming from a hole near the tube that sends raw water from the drive to the engine (large bellows) or from the area around the shift cable. The other gaskets and seals won't cause this, other than the transom seal and if that leaks, maybe the drive hit something at high speed. You can use OEM parts or the equivalent, but the cheapest parts aren't always great and some aren't truly 'equivalent'.

If you don't have a service manual, don't just wing it unless someone shows you some of the tricks. You'll also need some specialty tools for this and it's not worth 'finding a way' to disassemble/reassemble this.

Just a guess, but I would say that the drive weighs about 100 pounds. I don't know how strong you are or your mechanical abilities, but it can definitely be laid on a dolly (mine came from Harbor Freight). It's not tremendously heavy, but it's also awkward.

A $50 kit isn't worth using- how many times do you want to do this?

All of the bellows have to be corrugated with the exception of the exhaust, in order to allow the drive to raise and lower. If not, it would never raise without pulling the bellows off of where they attach.

Where are you looking at these parts? The transom seal kit (Alpha 1 Gen 2 Transom Bellows Repair/Reseal Kit 30-803099T1) isn't $500 and the only things that would cause water coming into the bilge that doesn't involve some kind of leak in the boat (other than the drive) are the bellows for the yoke/u-joint shaft and the shift cable boot. If those bellows leak, you should see water coming from a hole near the tube that sends raw water from the drive to the engine (large bellows) or from the area around the shift cable. The other gaskets and seals won't cause this, other than the transom seal and if that leaks, maybe the drive hit something at high speed. You can use OEM parts or the equivalent, but the cheapest parts aren't always great and some aren't truly 'equivalent'.

If you don't have a service manual, don't just wing it unless someone shows you some of the tricks. You'll also need some specialty tools for this and it's not worth 'finding a way' to disassemble/reassemble this.

Just a guess, but I would say that the drive weighs about 100 pounds. I don't know how strong you are or your mechanical abilities, but it can definitely be laid on a dolly (mine came from Harbor Freight). It's not tremendously heavy, but it's also awkward.

A $50 kit isn't worth using- how many times do you want to do this?
Thanks Jim. The prior owner gave me a MerCruiser service manual number 14 for an Alpha one Gen 2, but he never did any work on the boat. He said he just bought it to learn about the sterndrive. I also saw a guy on YouTube who gives pretty detailed instructional videos on the sterndrive disassembly and reassembly. The TouTube videos are called DYI by Michael Borders and he goes step by step on the Sterndrive with very detailed videos of each step. After watching these videos once, I don’t see it as too hard for my skill set. I've worked on cars and motorcycles my whole life so the boat just needed someone to show me once and I can do it. Thanks again for the insight. Especially the weight. 100 lbs. are OK for me to lift.

Based on what you have written, I strongly suggest you do not do this yourself.

You need at least one special tool for ujoint bellows installation and if you intend to replace shift cable bellows that can open a big can of worms. (You will need to partially dissassemble cable to remove inner core and the remove cable itself to get new bellows on then reassemble and make proper adjustments for shifting)

Seeing as you are unsure of the drive type (gen 1 or gen 2), i am not sure you want to spend hours on this site asking all the questions you will have trying to figure all this out.

Also why would you want to RESEAL the drive or do you mean, new bellows replacement?

The use of fhe solid exhaust tube vs the bellows is a correct fix/replacement as the exhaust is not a water leak concern. (Water is already mixed with exhaust)
Thank you for your concern. I'm new to working on a boat so my very basic questions but I have been working on cars and motorcycles for years and this doesn’t appear to be that harder than putting a new differential in my CJ Jeep or pulling the axles on the jeep. I just need the steps to do it. I have found a YouTube video series called DIY by Michael Borders and he does a step-by-step video that make me feel I can do it myself. I appreciate your comments and will be cautious, but you don’t learn if you don’t do.

Thank you for your concern. I'm new to working on a boat so my very basic questions but I have been working on cars and motorcycles for years and this doesn’t appear to be that harder than putting a new differential in my CJ Jeep or pulling the axles on the jeep. I just need the steps to do it. I have found a YouTube video series called DIY by Michael Borders and he does a step-by-step video that make me feel I can do it myself. I appreciate your comments and will be cautious, but you don’t learn if you don’t do.
I understand your confidence and if you feel a youtube video will give you the needed information then give it a shot.

You will need some special tools and special instructions from experienced people.

If i get what you are doing,
Buy the parts separetly.

1.Ujoint bellows - (requires special install tool for gimbal housing)
2.Shift cable bellows- this may be the most difficult task
3.Bellows adhesive
4.Shaped water hose, if needed.
5.Drive to gimbal housing gasket kit (paper gasket and several orings)

Buy ONLY Mercruiser parts for this job.

Note: if replacing bellows and water hose with OEM and boat is used in fresh water.
These parts should last 10 years without failure.
If used in salt or brackish water they may only last 3-5 years.

I understand your confidence and if you feel a youtube video will give you the needed information then give it a shot.

You will need some special tools and special instructions from experienced people.

If i get what you are doing,
Buy the parts separetly.

1.Ujoint bellows - (requires special install tool for gimbal housing)
2.Shift cable bellows- this may be the most difficult task
3.Bellows adhesive
4.Shaped water hose, if needed.
5.Drive to gimbal housing gasket kit (paper gasket and several orings)

Buy ONLY Mercruiser parts for this job.

Note: if replacing bellows and water hose with OEM and boat is used in fresh water.
These parts should last 10 years without failure.
If used in salt or brackish water they may only last 3-5 years.
Thank you I appreciate the insight and comments.

Thanks Jim. The prior owner gave me a MerCruiser service manual number 14 for an Alpha one Gen 2, but he never did any work on the boat. He said he just bought it to learn about the sterndrive. I also saw a guy on YouTube who gives pretty detailed instructional videos on the sterndrive disassembly and reassembly. The TouTube videos are called DYI by Michael Borders and he goes step by step on the Sterndrive with very detailed videos of each step. After watching these videos once, I don’t see it as too hard for my skill set. I've worked on cars and motorcycles my whole life so the boat just needed someone to show me once and I can do it. Thanks again for the insight. Especially the weight. 100 lbs. are OK for me to lift.
Look in the section about specialty tools- there aren't many that can be replaced by stuff that's laying around.

It's not rocket surgery, but don't assume you need the whole seal kit if it only needs one part.

The gasket for the oil plugs on the upper and lower gear cases should be replaced annually, the gear oil needs to be checked at the beginning/end of the season and if it was run frequently, the oil should be changed. If it was only a couple of times, the lower plug should be removed briefly, to make sure the oil isn't milky or for water that might settle to the bottom. If either occurs, drain it and find the water source.

That 100 lb is top heavy. I reinstalled my outdrive last year, after partially tearing my quad tendon. It wasn't easy, but I was able to do it by placing a few sheets of cardboard on the garage floor after measuring the distance from the bottom of the skeg to the collar around the input shaft, so I could move it straight into the gimbal. I lowered the bow of the boat using the trailer jack and for some reason, it almost fell into place. After working at three boat dealers and removing/installing I don't know how many drives, I have to say this was the easiest, ever.

If you can, have someone rotate the prop shaft as you align the input shaft's splines. Your hands will be busy juggling the drive and fitting the input shaft, as well as keeping the U-joints from flopping around.

Watch videos from SEI, Mercruiser and other manufacturers- they show this in a way that might be a bit more efficient.

Back