Logo

overcharging

bowlupn

Can someone help me. I have an evinrude E140TLRD. Last year i developed an overcharging problem. I've swapped out the reguator rectifire, the stator, and changed the batterie. Still have problem. It dos'nt start till the motor is warm and if you shut it down, then start back up, the volts drop until you give it gas. Can anyone give me some advise, thanks, Carl

Carl.... First check your model number. The one you list of E140TLRD would indicate the engine is a 1946 140hp Evinrude. I feel that model number might just be a typo.

Also, assuming you have a tachometer.... does it function properly?

It was a typo. It' E140TLCRD. And yes it has a tach, and i hit the trim button and the tach went off, and voltage dropped. I played with the key, and everything came back on.

Okay, you have a 1984 140hp Evinrude and apparently you have something wired wrong.

Voltage for the tachometer should come off of the "A" terminal of the ignition switch or a electrical plug in the control box (if that plug exists). Voltage for the PTT switch usually is fuse wired directly to the battery but can also be wired to that "A" terminal of the ignition switch. Pressing the PTT switch should affect nothing.

Back