Logo

outdrive air ingress problem

ruckus3313

Regular Contributor
ok guys,

i finally unwrapped all my winter tarps off my boat and now i gotta find out where the air leak is in my outdrive.Im sure its that connector and o-ring on the outdrive but i need to pressure test today to make sure.last year i was told it was part# 18-2778 for connector and o ring package.
However, when Im looking it looks like part # 18-2777 is what i need.
aq125a w/270 leg.

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-2777&ptype=&Engine=&Model=

any help would be great as is already been in the 60's and 70's and i want to go fishing not work on my boat lol

That is your "Water Neck" fitting. Sierra has been calling this a thermostat housing for about fifteen years now. :rolleyes:

Yes, your drive will require the 18-2777..... 18-2778 works for yours and several other drives!

This is a "wear" item, and should be replaced routinely.
The special beaded gasket must go "bead" down!
Be very careful removing the two screws.... heat the fork if possible before trying to remove these.
Best to do this with the transmission off and out of your way.... you can do bellows and bearing crosses while in there.

You also have a fairly critical O-ring at the bottom of the pivot tube that should routinely be replaced, IMO.

Last edited:
How easy is it to change the bottom o-ring on the pivot tube?? Also, how tight should the water neck connector bolts be when re-installing??

Robert,

I would love to conevert to a thru hull design like that,however I do not have the resources to do that in this present time!! Maybe in the next few years?? I hope..thanks

Rick,

My bellows and bearing crosses were done last spring,however, the connector and o-ring were fine at that time.I should of changed them anyways regardless because look what I now have to do this year!! Its a fresh water boat that is trailered and drive always kept down so the outdrive looks brand new factory paint and all!

i went outside to start my boat and it does not even start now...looks like accelerator pump isnt even squirting fuel when pumping accelerator.it did as of last year putting it away???i lost my service manual this winter due to a garage fire..does anyone have an illustration handy on what needle on the carb does what??which one controls the accelerator pump??thanks a bunch

Here's a link to a Volvo distributor and the schematics: http://www.marinepart***press.com/vp_sch_fs.html

If it's the downdraft Solex carb, there isn't a "needle" that controls the accelerator pump, it's the linkage that presses against the diaphram. The accel pump chamber is a gravity drain fill from the float bowl. You might want to try pouring a little gas down the carb to get it started. If it's the first start of the season, it might take awhile for the fuel pump to fill the float bowl so the accel pump chamber can get fuel.

If it's the side draft carb then afraid I don't know much about that one.

But for either one, are you sure you're getting clean fuel to the carb? For any carb, there could be varnish or gunk clogging passages.

Last edited:
joe,

thanks. all up and running now.had to pump the throttle about 30 times and finally it starting squirting fuel into the carb.changed plugs and cleaned up distributor cap and rotor.took a little cranking and fired up.
I guess people arent joking when they said these old volvo OHC 4 cyl
are cold blooded especially on the first start of the year!!Best fishing
now!!

Jesse

Back