Logo

Outboard timing issue (I think)

claudep32

[FONT=&quot]I'm trying to repair my 1995 70HP evinrude which completely stopped starting after a timer base replacement. (prior to that it was next to impossible to start cold but started instantly when hot.)
I read you have to adjust the timing after doing that. Idle timing should be 4ATDC, but I can only adjust it to 4BTDC which is why I think it just won't start at all. No sputter... nothing. (I have sparks on all three cylinders, CDI box, coils and spark plug were replaced. New stator too)
What do I do if the timing screw just doesn't have enough play to get to the proper idling timing???
Could it be something else?

[/FONT]

You don't care about idle timing for that motor. Get it to where it runs and set your idle speed. Idle speed is in gear on a warm motor. You do need to set your max timing when you change the timer base.

Well, that makes sense. It is correct that the manual says that the idle timing needs to be set in the water under load. Ok. It was just a theory.

My problem is that I just can't get it to start anymore. It has sparks, fuel, new coil, stator, timing base, plugs, cdi box.

What else can I try. There is an whole electrical system check procedure in the manual that I intend to do checking everything with the multimeter and what not.

I took the boat to a mechanic who diagnosed it was the timing base that had to be replaced but he had no time to do it and could not find the part. I found it, ordered it, installed it but not only it didn't help, it seems worse now!

I am hoping maybe for something obvious I overlooked. Tips on what to try and verify?

Well, that makes sense. It is correct that the manual says that the idle timing needs to be set in the water under load. Ok. It was just a theory.

My problem is that I just can't get it to start anymore. It has sparks, fuel, new coil, stator, timing base, plugs, cdi box.

What else can I try. There is an whole electrical system check procedure in the manual that I intend to do checking everything with the multimeter and what not.

I took the boat to a mechanic who diagnosed it was the timing base that had to be replaced but he had no time to do it and could not find the part. I found it, ordered it, installed it but not only it didn't help, it seems worse now!

I am hoping maybe for something obvious I overlooked. Tips on what to try and verify?
Spark needs to jump a 7/16" air gap. What is your compression? Is the lanyard connected?

Spark needs to jump a 7/16" air gap. What is your compression? Is the lanyard connected?

7/16"? In the service manual, it says to adjust the gap at 1/32" (0.8mm) which is much smaller than that. Would you make it larger despite the specs?

I'm assuming the mechanic checked the compression and didn't complain about it but just in case, I'll buy a compression tool to recheck it.

Yes, the lanyard is connected. If it wasn't, I believe I would not have sparks right?

7/16"? In the service manual, it says to adjust the gap at 1/32" (0.8mm) which is much smaller than that. Would you make it larger despite the specs?

I'm assuming the mechanic checked the compression and didn't complain about it but just in case, I'll buy a compression tool to recheck it.

Yes, the lanyard is connected. If it wasn't, I believe I would not have sparks right?
I am not talking about spark plug gap. You need an open air spark tester to make sure it has a good strong spark. Your spark plug gap is .035 Do not change that. . A checker like this is what you need, https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...ls-adjustable-ignition-spark-tester/10257_0_0

I think you're telling me to use a spark tester tool to verify that the coils are generating enough power. I'll do that. Thank you.

I think you're telling me to use a spark tester tool to verify that the coils are generating enough power. I'll do that. Thank you.

I was replying to XS Power.

Thank you flyingscott for confirming. I'll verify that and report back. But his could be in a few weeks because I'm offsite now. Thank you for your help.

Hello there, in the interest of closure, I actually figured out what the problem was thanks to one of your tip: using a spark tester, I could tell that the sparks were very weak. I proceeded to reinstall my 10 years old coils I kept around instead of the 1 year old ones it had on and guess what, it started instantly.

The problem was the new coils which were presumably of very bad quality. I feel stupid for loosing a season of boating because of this :(.

Also, the compression sits at 120 psi on all 3 cylinders which is fine I believe.

And once I could start it, I could adjust the idling timing just fine on the water in gear.

Runs perfect now! Thanks to everybody that chimed in.

Back