Logo

Outboard goes in reverse when I shift to forward

Jason Rose

I just got back to Fiji after going home to work in Alaska for the Summer. My 2006 5hp 2 stroke Tohatsu was winterized and left inside my boat while I was gone. Upon returning I was able to get the motor started without a problem, but now when I shift into forward, the outboard goes in reverse and vice versa. The lock that keeps the foot from coming up when in reverse is working properly ie. when I shift into reverse, the lock engages but the boat goes forward. When I shift into forward, the lock disengages and the motor goes backwards and lifts itself out of the water.

The motor was running perfectly when I left it. I am completely perplexed by this issue. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Jason
www.jasonrose.com

OK, so after tearing apart the lower unit and finding everything in perfect working order, I figured out that the outboard is starting backwards. The fly wheel is turning counter clockwise while running instead of clockwise. So it looks like I've got a timing issue to solve.

Jason
www.jasonrose.com

Thanks for the reply. The recoil is pulling the flywheel clockwise, then when the motor starts it backfires and the flywheel starts going counter-clockwise. I pulled the flywheel off to see if the key was sheared, but everything looks fine. So the mechanical part of the timing looks fine. Now I'm thinking that it's either the excitor coil or the pulser coil. The connections to each of these were corroded at the wiring harness. I cleaned them up with some sand paper, but it's still running backwards. It's time to whip out the ohm meter today.

Jason
www.jasonrose.com

Back