Logo

OT - Honda or Yamaha generator

bobct

Advanced Contributor
I'm going to get a 2000w unit and have a question about the shorepower connection. The Honda is available with a 30a plug built in. My boat has two 30a shore power connections for a total of 60 amps. This is more of a physical connection question, I'm aware of the amperage limitations on both ends.

With the Honda, I could use one of my 30amp shore power plugs and use one side at a time depending on what I want to run or get a "Y" and connect both sides. I know A/C is out, I want to be able to charge the batteries and run Micro or stove as needed (seperately).

I like the Yamaha because it has a gas gauge and all the controls are on one side but it only has 2 - 110v outlets. Could I get a "Y" on the generator side and accomplish the same thing? Any downside to that vs the 30amp shorepower connection on the Honda?

Bob

I have a pig tail shore power adapter that takes the shore power plug to a normal plug. I use this for the boat to test the systems when the boat is in my yard. I think a normal plug would be the same power as a shore power type plug. I am looking at buying a genny...leaning towards the Honda just as everyone has them...and they are quiet...

I have that as well, using one now while I'm on the hard. I guess I could use two of those, one for each 30 amp for light duty stuff or get a "Y" that takes two 110's and goes to a 30amp for using stove or microwave.

The Yamaha is fractionaly quieter and lighter. I do like the gauge and having all of the controls on one side compared to the Honda. Not a huge deal and maybe using the straight shore power connection offsets those plusses.

Last edited:
I'd be inclined to buy the one with the features you deem essential and then "change" whatever is needed. If you want the Yamaha, get it and then change the connector on its panel to match what's normally on the boat. I'd prefer the 30 amp circular connectors because they 'lock' where the 'house' duplex one don't. The marine grade 30Amp stuff usually has a redundant locking ring which also adds tolerance to the wx.

Yes, I have adapters - pigtails - but plain hate them for a myriad of reasons. When it comes to electrical and boat - the fewer the number of connections, the better.

I have a small generator that I put on the forward deck of my Gibson. It is 1800 watt. I use it to power my refigerator on long trips. It only uses a quart of fuel per hour compared to one gallon per hour for my Kohler. It has worked well over the years. Mine is too loud to use at anchor. I have three 30 A circuits on my boat. I just plug into the one that the fridge is on.

I have had some concern over something I read that the ground on these generators is floating. I am not sure what that means.

Chuck

As I know it from applications in amateur radio, floating ground means it is not earth grounded and usually means little in household applications, but with Radio Frequency it was important. You may want to check to see if anything used in that circuit demands an earth ground. Most likely not

A "Floating Ground" is common with portable devices, usually be design. Kinda hard to provide a permanent connection between the frame and earth on something portable, isn't it? That said, as long as the connected equipment doesn't malfunction, it isn't a concern. If there's a significant failure in the load device, a floating ground could cause the case to become electrically "hot" and offer a shock potential (no pun intended). If that's a risk you want to minimize, you can always 'clip on' a grounding wire between the bonding system and the gen while you are using it.

Yamaha generators are the best, hands down. The only one that even comes close are the Honda, which is still no challenge to the durability, the quality, and the benefits that comes with purchasing the Yamaha generator. The Yamaha battery life doubles (at minimum) every other portable generator on the market.

They are super quiet and built to last, just amazing engineering overall. Honda has and have always had a reputation for cheap trustworthy products, but they it comes to generators they're in second place.The sound of the Yamaha generator is quieter than you washer and dryer, you wouldn't even know it was running. Check out a full comparision of both 2000w generators.

I have had my Honda since hurricane Ivan (2004) and I would guess about 1K hours. I use it on the boat while at anchor with a pig tail to run the T.V.s, charger, and refers. The thing has been bullet proof. The oil, spark plug, and air filter is changed every year and I only use non-ethenol gas

A floating ground does not mean you are not protected from a ground in a load...you are still going to trip a breaker feeding that device that has the ground in it...you are protected back to the source...in this case the source is the generator...
you can run a small air conditioner on a 2k generator...just check the specs on the air cond before you buy it and dont run it with the microwave in use..an electric coffee pot or an electric hot water heater will be your two hi current devices...dont run the air with either in use....
i have run a generator for years on a houseboat i bought 40 years ago and still own and use quite a bit...just a little common sense and being aware of your load is all you need...
my choice would be the Honda...

This thread is from April 2011. I'm going to take a guess that HandyMan's recent post is a Yamaha sales promotion. :D
I'll take it one step further, and will suggest that the Honda EU series is favored by more boat owners.

hell i didnt even look back at the date...and i think you are right....my daughter just bought the honda 2k and it was much quieter than the yammy...beautiful little generator...i wish i could justify buying one ....lol...but my boat is 100% shore power now and i have a 8k for the house..

Back