Logo

Opinions on 2002 BF225

Maraian

Contributing Member
Im getting ready to buy a boat with a 2002 Honda BF225.
Can anyone share their experience, good or bad?
Any known issues with this year model?
Thanks

Yes, several issues that could be serious.

The biggest issue is the exhaust tubes. They can allow water to get too far up into the tube, blow the HO2 sensor, foul plugs, and possibly cause a damaging hydro-lock. Honda Service Bulletin addresses this issue. The fix is to replace the exhaust tubes with re-designed ones. Honda sells a kit for under $200 to make that fix. Check with the previous owner to see if SB#56 has been preformed on that engine. Alternatively, call Honda Service at 770-497-6400 to see if they have a record of the SB being performed on that engine. Have your model number and SN available when you make the call. The exhaust tube outlets must be a minimum of 5.9" above the water line. The higher, the better.

The second major issue is the mid-shaft bushing. The earlier model 225's did not allow sufficient cooling water onto that bushing, it would wear, then wobble, and even eat through the lower cowling. This was especially a problem with the longer shaft engines.

The third serious problem is corrosion developing around the thermostats and eating through the metal, allowing a major water leak. Pull the t-stats and check for corrosion. It can be repaired by a very good welder who is experienced with working on cast aluminum.

Having said all of that, if these engines are rigorously maintained IAW the service schedule, they run for thousands of hours. Aristikat, who follows this forum has well over 3000 hours on his early model 225's.

Before purchasing, I strongly recommend that you get the boat and motor to a Honda dealer or certified Honda Tech and have them hook up the Honda Diagnostic System computer (HDS or Dr. H) and look at running history, performance, and verify hours. Also have them conduct a compression test. All cylinders should be over 200 psi and no more than 20 psi between the lowest and highest. Have the water pump impeller inspected/changed and while they have the lower unit off, have them thoroughly inspect the mid-shaft bearing.

Thanks for the thorough explanation. It is a little overwhelming. The boat I'm considering is being sold because the owner died, so I dont have a history or any answers to questions. I asked the broker to contact the family, but the more I think about it the more I am swaying away. Its just that the price is much lower than the comperable boats in my area. I assume all the same issues would apply to a 2004, another boat Im looking at has one of those.

Yep - same issues in 2004. Starting in 2007 they factory installed the modified exhaust tubes and allegedly fixed the problem with the mid-shaft bearing.

As far as I am concerned, the Hondas are the best of the large outboards. All outboard engines have their issues, weaknesses and quirks. The key is to identify the issue and fix it or work around it.

Thanks again, I have asked the broker to send me the serial and model #'s and I'll give Honda a call. Like I told my wife, the nice part about buying this lower cost boat ( almost half) would be, with the left over money, I can start saving ( being on a tight budget, much to her dismay!) for our next boat right away!:)

As a general direction for buying a used boat, especially one that will be used on the open ocean or on other large bodies of water, consider the boat first - one that meets your needs and works well in your primary operating environment. Find a boat that fits that. Make sure it is structurally sound by using a professional surveyor. Then consider the power plant. If in doubt about its reliability, pay for the boat only, then repower it with a new engine, or at least be prepared to re-power it if the engine proves unreliable. The key point is that if you are doubtful about the boat's safety and reliability you won't use it as much and are wasting your time and money.

Back