Logo

OMC outdrive question 1989 3.0

tylerlee001

I have a 3.0l OMC cobra of a 89 four winns and i banged the steg pretty good. Needless to say i tried removing the lower unit to get it repaired and found out that you could not remove it without removing the entire lower end. But in trying to remove it i did loose some gear oil out of the top drive due to my curiousity in trying to get the lower end off. How do refill the gear oil? Also is there any gaskets that i should be worried about with lower the lower unit 2 inches? I just want to make sure before i drop her back in the water

Thanks for the help!

Re: OMC outdrive question

Im still pretty new here but if I'm not mistaken in an 89 there should be a dipstick in the very top flat part of the outdrive. It will look like a flat screw maybe 3/8 inch round and you unscrew it with a flat screwdriver and there should be a dipstick on the bottom of the screw. Top dead center of upper drive.

OMC2300 is correct. There is a dipstick on the top of the drive. It takes a ( BIG )flathead screwdriver to get it out. There is a groove on the bottom of the dipstick and when you check the oil level it should just cover the groove, Not way up above it. Make sure the drive is level when you fill it, and when you check it.As far as filling the drive with oil If you look on the
starboard (drivers side) of the drive on the very bottom you will see a screw and about midway up you will see another screw they will also take a flathead screwdriver to remove unless they have been replaced with a different syle of screw,(Mine take an allen wrench to remove),Remove the screw in the middle and fill the drive untill the level is to full on the dipstick. You will need a Pump that screws right onto the oil bottle. Unless you only have to add a small amount then you can top off at the hole on top where the dipstick goes.but always run the drive a couple of minutes then recheck it,to ensure that no bubbles of air got trapped in the bottom drive. you want to make sure you don't run the top gears dry.....( These two screws are on the lower part of drive )"DO NOT REMOVE ANY SCREWS ON EITHER SIDE OF UPPER DRIVE !"And as far as the gasket it sounds like you seperated the drive.You have to remove the entire drive to seperate the upper from the lower that is the only way you can remove the lower part of the drive.And yes you will need gaskets upon reassembly. There are several other things you can and should check and do if you have the drive off.check your U-Joint Boot, Check the Gimbal bearing, Check the exhaust boot, Is your shift cable in good shape? I went ahead and bought a shop manual, So I could do as much of my own maintence as possible. Other than that you can find out pretty much anything you want on this Forum. Lots of good people on here that will Help however they can !!! :)

Last edited:

I don't understand, you wanted to take the lowert off because you smacked it pretty good, now you just want to refill the oil and put it in the water.....what about the damage to the lower?

hey bob, i had the damage repaired at a shop. I just wanted to know if there was any gaskets required for just dropping the lower unit 1 inch and how to check the gear oil.

Yahoo50, theres a bog screw on the port side of the upper drive, right near the top, the previous owner unscrewed that one for me when i bought it to drain the water out?? Should that have not been touched either?

There is one on each side of the drive, Just leave them be..... The two screws that I am talking about are supposed to have a Cobra badge covering them. As far as water you can just pull the drive every season to winterize and all of the water will come out. Need to grease the u-joints and gimbal every year anyway.

Back