Logo

OMC cobra 7.5 liter slight grind into reverse gear

jim1432

I was hoping someone could give me some things to look at to solve this problem.
I have a OMC king cobra 7.5 liter sterndrive. Year model is 1987. I recently changed out the shift interupter it was not working. Now I have a slight grind between forward and reverse gears. I understand the omc,s had a problem with that. I have the original shop manual and plan to re adjust the linkage per original manual tommorrow.
The instructions are a little confusing but the pictures help a lot.
So after the adjustment is there anything else I should look at as the possible cause. I also know the shift interupter is now working right so that much is fixed.
Any additional help would be great. I am also printing out the link to the revised procedure I found on this forum. I am guessing I should follow the revised and not my original repair manual.
If anyone has had this problem or a solution drop me a line.
Thanks

Thanks for the link. I have not did anything yet to the boat. Finishing up installing new HVAC at my place.
I am planning on looking at the sterndrive late tommorrow. You said I may not have a King cobra. As far as I know I do. It is not the cone type so there is some confusion there as to what a true King Cobra is.
What should I look at to figure out if it's a King Cobra?

You don't don't really have the King Cobra but OMC did their very best to confuse people with it. What matters is you still have a dog clutch style of drive it's just that yours is a little beefier in the gearcase area including the shafts and gears to handle the HP of the big block.

Back