Logo

OMC Adhesive M Alternative?

jasondainter

Regular Contributor
Hi All.

Im reassembling the lower unit on a Johnson 55HP 1979.

Service manual calls for "Adhesive M" to be applied to the bottom edge of impeller plate and install plate.

Ive spent a small fortune on various johnson greases, and really trying to avoid the $50 extra to get this stuff shipped from ebay to sweden.

Any ideas on a suitable substitute?

I have in my possession:

- Johnson gasket sealing compound
- Johnson triple grease

With either of those work?

That particular application is not critical. Of the choices you list, I'd go for the gasket sealing compound or other gasket maker stuff.

Jason, Sweden, WOW! My boss on the big ships is from Sweden Lennart Rosengren, exceptional mechanic, worked for years at Pielstik. We rebuild the BIG 8000 HP V18 for the great lakes fleet as well as the few left in the US Navy. Even changed a crankshaft in one down in Charleston South Carolina. You would be amazed how Lennart coordinated that job. Great respect for that man. Here is a tech from Miami, (Louise), helps on more challenging jobs. He travels the world rebuilding generator engines for Goltens, another exceptional mechanic......only charges $50 bucks per hour.
I like 518 Loctite too. Great for cases as well, best for aluminum work.

Attachments

• Speer work 2-8-15.jpg
    Speer work 2-8-15.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Speer work Luis 3-1-15.jpg
    Speer work Luis 3-1-15.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Wow fantastic Tim (sorry for the delay, I finally got my motor in the water the other day so spending every waking minute enjoying it before the Swedish sunshine disappears!)

Amazing story about Lennart Rosengren, what great photos also! Swedes really have a deep rooted engineering culture.

Jason.... Loc-Tite 518, as suggested by 'Timguy", is a substitute for the long gone OMC Adhesive is a very sticky type substance, identical in substance and quality. I'd suggest that you get some to have on hand... many uses.

Grease and/or Gasket Sealing Compound just doesn't do the job where the above sealer is called for.

Permatex 80019 Aviation Form-A-Gasket No. 3 Sealant, as suggested and used by Brandon of Brandon’s garage. I’ve used it with success on a 1976 Seahorse 15 hp water pump.

Thanks, the 80019 is gas, oil, grease "resistant".......so for me I like a product that is gas, oil, grease "proof". There is a difference.

Back