Logo

Omc 800 water pump removing discussion

rustymich

Regular Contributor
"Has anyone removed there outd

"Has anyone removed there outdrive cooling and instead used a pump and sea strainer off the engine with these units or does the water also help in a way keep the internals of the outdrive cool as well??My cabin cruiser uses pump and strainers though its and inboard But they sound cool running out the back,thats what I would like to do with the 800 outdrive reroute the water and exhaust...(Ideas)(Concerns )Thanks.."

[i]does the water also help in

does the water also help in a way keep the internals of the outdrive cool as well?
I think it does cool the upper gearcase.

"If you re-route the exhaust f

"If you re-route the exhaust from the drive, it should be no problem using an internal pump.
It is however one small thing to remember.
A small spray from the pump goes to the 'joint' to lubricate and cool down! This one you loose.
Suggest you keep the impeller, block on the inside and use an internal pump for engine and increase the spray holes for the 'joint' to cool both drive and 'joint'."

"Ball gears = joint.

The co

"Ball gears = joint.

The cold water does indeed cool the drive both ways.In the passages on the way in and out.

I find it hard to believe that you can't move enough water with the stringer impeller, compared to other drives it's 3 times as big."

"'Ball gears = joint'.

"'Ball gears = joint'.
Was too early in the morning, got a language 'block'.
Re-routing the exhaust and using the drive pump is no problem providing the engine has raiser manifolds which I think all the 800 had.
Using an internal pump with a strainer is not a problem when it comes to engine cooling but you loose the ball-gear cooling/lubrication.
Taking the exhaust off the drive eliminates the need for the drive water cooling."

"The lower gears will be ok i

"The lower gears will be ok i think cause they sit in the water but the upper?

Really i don't know the solution. I still don't know why one would want to do it.

I guess if one had to they could make up a shower, that would force water up 2 tubes and one would direct water on the ball gears, and the other one would spray on the upper. The opening of the tubes would be under the cavitation plate with the openings facing forward, under power water would be forced up the tubes.

Then i suppose one would pull water, thru a strainer and use a pump such as a bravo or volvo setup, using a belt putting water to the t-stat housing.

You would still have the engine mounted circulation pump.

Then i suppose you could just leave out the impeller. Water won't draw up the drive.

Maybe you could seal off the water pump with a seal of some sort then fill that area with drive oil.

Exhaust could be like a captains call, thru hull design i suppose.

Alot of work and fabrication to what end?

All conjecture. Of course."

Back