Logo

OMC 800 stringer repair or replace

keepitclean

any advice appreciated

have an 84 omc stringer 800; mechanic said lower unit had problems, it would be 2,000 plus to fix. found an 82 used fresh water entire unit for 900.

how much should i expect to pay to remove and replace mine with used? or should I rebuild.?

The boat it is going on is old 1984 deck boat but with a great running engine. by the way the owner of the used stern drive says it will fit my boat- mine has tilt/trim/truecourse steering V6-his is standard steering and an 82 V6 sterndrive.

any ideas helpful

thanks scott

You must really love that boat. I think the general consensus is to use the Stringer until it dies, and then go boat shopping. Of course the guy with the used Stringer says it will fit, HE'S TRYING TO GET RID OF IT! Don't fall for it. Take your money and start looking for a new dance partner.

Best advice you'll get on this subject.

$900 sounds like a good price if you know what to look for and its the correct gear ratio for V6 and correct year (look for rectangular zinc in same place as your lower)

Sometimes you can find a whole 3.8 powered boat with a freeze cracked engine for less than $900
I bought a 1984 19' Peterborough with a frozen 3.8 for $230 delivered!

I used the drive on my boat. I replaced the water pump impeller, greased the w/p shaft and it's been a good drive for about 7 years now.

Gutted the boat for spares: steering cable, intermediate, tilt motor, selectrim system etc. etc
then advertised the free hull and some guy picked it up for what I don't know... it was rotten

Back